What's it like to be an Account Executive?
An Account Executive is a sales-based professional who sells services and products to organisations and individuals. Account Executives may work in areas such as advertising, information technology, property and travel.
Tasks and duties
- Developing contacts and relationships with current and prospective clients and engaging in consultations to determine their needs.
- Presenting suggestions of products and/or services to clients.
- Negotiating, tracking and maintaining records of the process from pitch to sale.
- Working to reach or exceed established sales quotas.
Account Executives are confident professionals with strong interpersonal and communication skills. They must also have excellent research abilities in order to know the products and services that are on the market and the ways in which theirs differs.
What can I earn as an Account Executive?
Latest Account Executive jobs on SEEK
How to become an Account Executive
- Consider starting out in an entry-level roles, such as a Presales Consultant or Sales Representative, in order to gain exposure and experience in the field of sales.
- Alternatively, consider undertaking a bachelor degree in advertising, marketing, accounting or commerce. These are typically full-time courses over three or four years, for people over 17 years of age or who have completed year 12 with an appropriate Universities Admission Index.
- Account Executives have many opportunities to further their career, such as moving up the ladder to become a Sales Director or Sales Vice President.
Explore related qualifications
SEEK users who have worked as an Account Executive have studied these qualifications.
This degree offers you a foundation in business studies and the opportunity to specialise in all aspects of marketing.