What's it like to be an Accountant?
Accountants help individuals and organisations manage their finances, tax credits and obligations, and give advice on compliance and record management. Accountants may choose to specialise and become Management Accountants, Taxation Accountants, Trust Accountants, Systems Accountants, Fund Accountants or Company Accountants.
Tasks and duties
- Examine the income and expenditure of the individual or organisation.
- Create and maintain budgets.
- Prepare financial statements.
- Create accounting policies in consultation with senior stakeholders and in alignment with regulatory requirements.
- Prepare reports that articulate business compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Undertake audits, conduct financial investigations and manage insolvency.
- Provide advice about business plans, structures and accounting systems.
- Establishing bank accounts, funds and trusts.
- Manage cash flow.
- Manage investment projects.
Accountants may work in the public sector, for large or small organisations, or for individual clients. A Bachelor degree or higher is usually required to become an Accountant. Additional certification may also be needed.
Accounting is generally suited to people who are good with numbers and those who are highly organised. Because Accountants have to deal with a wide range of people, it is also important to be able to connect with others and be able to communicate clearly.
Latest Accountant jobs on SEEK
How to become an Accountant
- Complete an accredited bachelor degree such as a Bachelor of Accounting or Bachelor of Business (Accounting). This usually takes three years of full-time study.
- If you already have a bachelor degree, you can complete an accredited postgraduate qualification, such as a Master of Professional Accounting. This usually takes two years of full-time study.
- After graduating, you will become eligible to join a professional accounting body such as Certified Practising Accountant (CPA) or Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand (CA ANZ). Apply to participate in an accreditation program offered by one of these institutions to enhance your credentials and employability.
Explore related qualifications
SEEK users who have worked as an Accountant have studied these qualifications.
This degree provides you with a strong foundation in business, accounting and finance, preparing you for a range of roles.