What's it like to be an Aged Care Registered Nurse?
Aged Care Registered Nurses are qualified nurses who deliver primary health care to elderly patients predominantly in hospital, aged care homes, home care or community settings.
Tasks and duties
- Provide high quality nursing care by delivering, managing and overseeing procedures, medication administration and restorative care. This also includes safe behavioural management in dementia care and emergency responses, including care of patients related to falls and infections
- Support with palliative care including complex pain management.
- Update and maintain medical records and liaise with other health professionals and patients’ family members as required.
Regardless of where they work, Aged Care Registered Nurses play an important role in administering medications, observing patients, monitoring health and diet, managing chronic disease and dementia.
Aged Care Registered Nurses tend to work collaboratively with other skilled professionals such as doctors, physiotherapists, occupational therapists, speciality nurses and others to provide patient care.
What can I earn as an Aged Care Registered Nurse?
Compare salaries by similar roles
How to become an Aged Care Registered Nurse
- Complete a bachelor degree in the field of nursing. This could be a Bachelor of Nursing, Bachelor of Science (majoring in Nursing) or Bachelor of Nursing (Advanced Studies). Alternatively, for students with previous tertiary qualifications, complete a two-year Master of Nursing (Graduate Entry) program.
- Apply to the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia (NMBA) to practice as a Registered Nurse (RN). Registration must be renewed annually. Gain experience working within an aged care setting.
- RNs can pursue post graduate qualifications specialising in aged care or undertake nurse practitioner studies in aged care, which allows them to prescribe some medications and conduct investigations in consultations with doctors.
Explore related qualifications
SEEK users who have worked as an Aged Care Registered Nurse have studied these qualifications.
Develop knowledge and skills to prepare for work as a Registered Nurse in the healthcare industry with this bachelor qualification.