What's it like to be a Full Stack Developer?
Tasks and duties
- Designing websites using a mixture of creativity and software programming.
- Gathering project requirements by liaising with clients and stakeholders.
- Analysing project requirements and designing solutions and features.
- Using computer software and hardware to write and modify programming code.
- Testing code for bugs and implementing improvements and fixes.
- Solving problems using logic and methodical testing processes.
- Developing testing and validation processes.
- Deploying code to the live environment.
Full Stack Developers commonly work to a process known as the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC), which contains six stages: analysis, design, development and testing, implementation, documentation, and evaluation.
Software Developers may be employed at large companies where new software is created, at digital agencies or within the IT department of a business. Like other Software Developers, they may also work freelance on a contractual basis.
Latest Full Stack Developer jobs on SEEK
Want to know where your skills can take you? So do we!
We're working on a tool that shows you the skills you have and the skills you need, so you can become an in-demand candidate for a role that suits your strengths. Register to try it out in a guided Zoom session with a SEEK user researcher.
How to become a Full Stack Developer
- Complete a relevant qualification. This could be a Certificate IV in Information Technology (Programming) (ICT40120), Diploma of Information Technology (Back End Web Development) (ICT50220) or Diploma of Information Technology (Front End Web Development) (ICT50220). Alternatively, you could complete a more advanced qualification, such as a bachelor degree in IT or computer science.
- Look to secure an internship while studying. This will provide you with relevant experience as well as guidance and mentorship from experienced Full Stack Developers.
- Consider enhancing your skills with industry recognised certifications, such as the Certified Full Stack Developer.