What's it like to be a Software Developer?
Software Developers are computer science specialists who creates computer software and applications. They are proficient in the use of computer programming languages, which they use to write the ‘code’ which performs the software’s functions. Experienced Software Developers usually have a specialisation in one or more fields of software development, such as web development or database development.
Tasks and duties
- Investigate, design, test, apply and evaluate new or existing software programs and products.
- Write and apply code to modify and improve software programs.
- Maintain and upgrade programs, ensuring that training is provided for users.
Developers often work to a process known as the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC), which contains six stages: analysis, design, development and testing, implementation, documentation, and evaluation. They interact with computers daily, and work in teams at IT companies or in the IT department of a broad range of technology–driven organisations. They may also work freelance servicing a list of clients.
Software Developers usually work within a team of information technology professionals and liaise with development managers, software engineers, UX designers and systems analysts to ensure software projects are functional and effective.
Software Developers tend to be analytical individuals who have strong skills in mathematics, engineering and electronics.
What can I earn as a Software Developer?
Compare salaries by similar roles
How to become a Software Developer
- Complete a qualification in a related field, such as a Bachelor of Computer Science, a Bachelor of Software Engineering or a Diploma of Software Development.
- There are numerous career options for Software Developers, such as becoming a Database Designer or Computer Applications Engineer. You may also wish to investigate further study options, such as a Master of Engineering (Software).
- Aim to secure a placement in an internship program while studying. This will provide you with relevant experience as well as guidance and mentorship from experienced Developers.
Explore related qualifications
SEEK users who have worked as a Software Developer have studied these qualifications.
Develop broad skills in science to prepare for opportunities in a range of industries with this qualification.
This qualification develops your computer science knowledge to prepare for a career in computer engineering or software development.