Technology is changing many aspects of our working lives – including the way we apply and interview for jobs. SEEK Video Screen by Spark Hire is one such technology that is fast gaining popularity with employers as it allows them to easily host video interviews.
How it works is the employer writes or records a few short questions, which you reply to, one by one, on video in your own time. It helps you present yourself as more than just a name on a resume or voice on the phone. A video interview gives you the chance to showcase yourself and sell your personality and skills to a potential employer.
Video interviewing is improving the job search process by breaking down barriers such as location and time away from work, it is also making it easier to connect you to your next role.
If you’re reading this, then you may have been asked to do a video interview and you’re not sure where to start. Don’t stress, Video interviewing is improving the job search process by breaking down barriers such as location and time away from work, it is also making it easier to connect you to your next role. Some of the key benefits of a video interview include:
- Not having to leave work or make an excuse to attend an interview
- Being able to complete the interview in the comfort of your own home, in your own time
- You can use any device you have available (computer, tablet or mobile phone)
- Having the option to have notes that you can refer to
- You get thinking time before each question and you can also get more than one shot at providing an answer (depending on how the employer has setup the interview process)
- Video allows you to showcase your personality
- It’s a chance to get your face in front of more people within an organisation
- It breaks down geographical boundaries. You can apply for out of town jobs without having to pay for travel or take time off work
How does video interviewing actually work?
Video interviews are DIY recordings of you answering set questions.
The actual recording process is similar to how video chat or web-based conferencing tools work except it’s not a live chat. You record yourself answering each question that pops up on the screen.
If you’ve been asked to do a video interview for SEEK Video Screen, here’s what you need to know about how it works:
- The questions are set. The questions are created by the person hiring for the role. Everyone who receives an invitation to do a video interview will answer exactly the same questions.
- You receive the invite. You’ll receive an invite via email and all you need to do is click on the link to get started.
- Video interview platform opens. Next, you’ll be taken to a page with the job description and a video interview tutorial to help you prepare.
- You watch the tutorial. The tutorial will show you exactly how a video interview works so you know what to expect. You can watch the tutorial as few or as many times as you like.
- Get ready. Put on your best interview attire and find somewhere well-lit with a neutral background.
- Click to interview. When you’re ready to answer your first question click on the “Interview Now” button and follow the prompts. Once you start your interview, you’ll be given very clear instructions about what to expect when you are asked each question and how the platform works. If you get stuck, technical support is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Re-record. How many takes you’re allowed to record your answer depends on the individual employer. It might be once or twice or it could be as many times as you like. When you’re happy with your recording move on with the next question until you’re finished.
- It’s submitted. As soon as you finished the interview it’s automatically saved to the platform for the employer to watch in his or her own time. Only authorised staff members will be able to see your interview.
- You’re done. Good luck!
Ultimately, video interviewing gives you the opportunity to showcase yourself in front of the people that matter in the organisation you want to work for.
This article has been created based on the SEEK Video by Spark Hire experience and may not apply to other video interviewing software.