A well written job ad helps you to attract great talent, promote your company’s brand, and stand out among the competition. But did you know a detailed job ad can also save you time by attracting the right person for your team and limiting candidates that are not suitable for the role?
We’ve developed a checklist to help you build out your job ad - to make sure you’re including all the information candidates want to know about your role, your company and what it’s like to work in your team.
- Avoid using jargon or internal titles.
- Job ads that use industry standard titles are more likely to be seen by candidates.
- Include a salary or salary range.
- Job ads that display salary information usually receive, on average, 42% more applications than ones that don’t.
- Be as specific as possible when it comes to where the role is located.
- If it is hybrid or for various locations, include this information.
About the company
- Include a overview of your company.
- Size, location, industry, etc.
- Share selling points that highlight why it’s a great place to work.
- Workplace perks, company culture, social activities, etc.
About the role
- Provide accurate and essential information about the role:
- What are the reporting lines?
- What is the team size?
- Who are the stakeholders?
- How will this role contribute to the success of the company?
- Provide 4 or 5 of the core duties. Bullet points are an effective way of listing duties.
Skills and experience
- List the skills and experience a candidates would need to succeed in the role.
- Are there any qualifications that applicants must have?
- How much experience (if any) do applicants need?
- Introduce candidates to your company’s culture through a video or provide detail around.
- Why do people enjoy working at your company?
- What kind of people thrive at your company?
- What is the work/life balance like at your company?
- Highlight the best parts about the role and working for your company.
- Learning and development programs
- Flexible work policies
- Share options
- Mentoring programs, etc
How to apply
- Provide details around how to apply and what to include in their application.
- Is a cover letter required?
- Is a Working with Children or Police check required?
You can also download the checklist below.
For more advice on job ads, take a look at SEEK’s ad writing tips. You’ll find practical tips and advice to help you write a great job ad.