Economist - Project Advisory
Advertiser: Infrastructure AustraliaMore jobs from this company
- Job Listing Date
- 6 Aug 2018
- Sydney, CBD, Inner West & Eastern Suburbs
- $60,000 - $70,000
- Work Type
- Full Time
- Consulting & Strategy, Strategy & Planning
Infrastructure Australia is looking for a graduate, or recent graduate, with an interest in micro-economics to join our team. You will have the opportunity to work as part of our project advisory team that provides advice on infrastructure proposals across Australia.
Infrastructure Australia is an independent statutory body with a mandate to prioritise and advise on nationally significant infrastructure. Infrastructure Australia provides independent research and high quality advice to all levels of government, as well as investors and owners of infrastructure, on Australia's requirements for nationally significant infrastructure.
Infrastructure Australia’s Project Advisory function is responsible for reviewing and providing advice on the quality and feasibility of major infrastructure proposals across government jurisdictions on the basis of rigorous analysis of costs and benefits from an economic, social, environmental and land use perspective.
The Economist provides economic analysis and advice to the Project Advisory team across a variety of areas including the development and refreshing of the Infrastructure Priority List on an ongoing basis.
Your day to day responsibilities will include:
- Provide economic analysis and advice to Project Advisory programs of work under the professional guidance of more senior economists and in collaboration with the Program Manager to ensure that all project components align with agreed scoping, planning and stakeholder expectations
- Support Infrastructure Australia's engagement with project proponents to advise on our requirements for business case development
- Provide sound economic advice and analysis to all functions across Infrastructure Australia to inform the development of high quality outputs for stakeholders (e.g. the Infrastructure Audit and Infrastructure Priority List)
- Assist in preparing documents for publication and consideration at the Infrastructure Australia Assessment Panel, including contributing to quality assurance reviews, editing and proofreading
- Contribute to applied investment economics and cost-benefit analysis on transport and other infrastructure sectors on project assessments and research projects.
- Assist in the review and filing of documents relating to the Australian Transport Assessment and Planning (ATAP) guidelines and the Steering Committee’s work, as required
- Foster and develop working relationships with proponents and other relevant stakeholders, with the aim of advancing the progress of evidence-based Infrastructure reform across Australia
- Practice cross-functional collaboration in contributing to the strategic direction of the organisation, keeping Infrastructure Australia's commitments to its various stakeholder groups at the heart of its decision making
- Attend external meetings and external fora
We are looking for a graduate, or recent graduate with up to two years experience. You will have a degree in economics or a related subject. You will have some experience or an interest in micro-economics including cost benefit analysis and applied investment economics. You may have experience applying these skills in transport, energy, water or communications. You will be able to produce high quality written work and have great attention to detail.
- Tertiary qualifications in a relevant discipline (Economics, Finance or Commerce). Some relevant experience in conducting economic analysis (micro economics) is desirable but not essential and
- Concise communication style, including an ability to communicate economic concepts using multiple channels to a range of audiences
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate in achieving shared strategic goals
- Ability to model and promote the values of independence, transparency, collaboration, credibility and rigour in all that we do
- All employees of Infrastructure Australia must be Australian citizens and must obtain and hold an Australian Government Security Vetting Agency (AGSVA) - Baseline security clearance. More information can be found at: http://www.defence.gov.au/agsva/getting-a-clearance.asp
- Experience in project management, Microsoft Excel/Access and Geographic Information Systems will be considered favourably
- Demonstrated knowledge of infrastructure sectors and associated policy issues across multiple sectors (e.g. transport, energy, communication, water)
- Practical experience in an economics and/or planning environment i.e. business case development
- Awareness of the workings of government and the economic decision making processes across different levels of government
In return we are offering:
- A salary range of $60 to $70k plus 9.5% super
- Support for your professional development
- Comprehensive employee wellbeing program
- Paid parental leave scheme
- The opportunity to work in dynamic environment with employees who are passionate about what they do
Infrastructure Australia values and supports workforce diversity. We encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people from diverse cultural backgrounds and people with a disability.
Please address the essential criteria in your application and email Chrissele George at IACareers@infrastructure.gov.au with any queries. Applications close at midnight on 19th August 2018. For a confidential chat or to request a copy of the position description please call Collette or Chrissele on (02) 8114 1900.