Chief Executive Officer - Basketball Geelong
Advertiser: Basketball GeelongMore jobs from this company
- Job Listing Date
- 13 Nov 2018
- South West Coast VIC
- Work Type
- Full Time
- CEO & General Management, CEO
ABOUT BASKETBALL GEELONG
Basketball Geelong Inc. (BG) is the largest basketball association in the Greater Geelong region, with over 480 teams competing from 14 different clubs each week in our Junior and Senior domestic competitions.
BG offers an elite pathway from junior representative basketball (VJBL) through to elite senior representative basketball (Big V and Victorian Senior Elite League) via the Geelong Supercats.
BG was first established in 1948 to provide support and services to the local community to be involved in the game of basketball. The Geelong Supercats were first established in 1977 to provide an elite team to enter the highest level of competition, including a stint in the NBL.
In 2012, Basketball Geelong and the Geelong Supercats joined forces to create a streamlined elite pathway for juniors to seniors.
In 2017, in partnership with AWA Alliance Bank, BG opened its first six-court stadium owned by the association. AWA Alliance Bank Stadium is now the home of junior basketball and is fully managed and operated by BG.
Elite senior Supercats competition is held on the show court of the Geelong Arena in North Geelong.
BG is governed and managed by a Commission that provides the strategic direction of the association including the conduct, encouragement, promotion and administration of basketball throughout Victoria, the City of Greater Geelong and its surrounding areas.
OVERVIEW OF CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER ROLE
The Chief Executive Officer (CEO) reports directly to the Basketball Geelong Commission supported by the Chairperson.
The CEO is hired by and reports to the Commission, and will be responsible for carrying out BG’s policies and adhering to the Constitution. The CEO is held accountable for all aspects of BG operations and management to ensure the success of BG and its activities.
The CEO works with the Commission on the holistic and long-term focus of BG’s governance. The CEO will prepare such special reports as may be requested by the Commission and will report back on the effectiveness of BG’s policies, operations and programs.
The current staffing structure consists of 3 full time staff, 4 part time staff and a number of casual staff.
The BG Commission is currently undertaking a full review of the organizational structure and staff roles and responsibilities. It is anticipated that the successful candidate will be asked to assist in this review and provide recommendations for best practice.
The CEO role is a ‘hands-on’ role and requires an energetic, innovative leader with strong communication skills able to engage and work collaboratively with a diverse stakeholder group while developing and nurturing key relationships within the basketball community, including volunteers.
You will have a successful track record in managing like-sized businesses, budgets and resources, successfully delivering against strategic objectives and driving business development. Your commercial acumen will be matched by your sound judgement, creative decision-making capability, and the capacity to negotiate the best possible outcomes for BG whilst at all times maintaining support and engagement of the stakeholder family.
KEY FUNCTIONS OF THE CEO
The CEO will be responsible for the following key areas:
· Implements general policies to meet Association standards; directs the administration and execution of the policies.
· Plans, develops and approves specific operational policies, programs, procedures and methods in concert with general policies.
· Coordinates the development of BG's long range and annual business plans.
· Works collaboratively with the BG Commission and other stakeholders to develop a long-term strategy for existing and future facility development and management
· Develops, maintains and administers a sound organisational plan; initiates improvements as necessary.
· Establishes basic personnel policies; initiates and monitors policies relating to personnel actions and training and professional development programs.
· Maintains membership with professional associations. Attends conferences, workshops and meetings to keep abreast of current information and developments in the field of basketball and sports administration.
· Coordinates development of operating and capital budgets according to the budget calendar; monitors monthly and facilitates other financial statements for BG; takes effective corrective action as required.
· Provides advice and recommendations to the Board and committees about construction, alterations, maintenance, materials, supplies, equipment and services not provided in approved plans and/or budgets.
· Oversees the care and maintenance of all BG's physical assets and facilities.
· Oversees the marketing and membership relations programs to promote the Club's services and facilities to potential and present members. Co-ordinates and executes production of the Annual General Report.
· In addition to Basketball Australia and Basketball Victoria, manages relationships with key partners including Sponsors
· Establishes and monitors compliance with purchasing policies and procedures.
· Analyses financial statements, manages cash flow and establishes controls to safeguard funds. Reviews income and costs relative to goals; takes corrective action as necessary.
· Attends meeting of the BG Commission.
· The CEO is a partner with the Commission in achieving BG's vision and discusses issues confronting BG proactively with the Commission. The CEO also assists the Commission in developing a format for assessing the progress of BG and reviews any issues of concern with the Commission.
· The CEO keeps the Commission apprised of the organisational climate, identifying problems either actual or anticipated, communicates with the Commissioners, and offers consultative assistance
· The CEO monitors long- and short-term objectives, financial reports and prepares a financial plan for BG.
· The CEO sets the standard for effective management, maintaining a high level of ethics, prudence, creativity, productivity and demonstrating a concern for the supervision and development of the staff.
· The CEO helps the Commission to arrive at a consensus about important matters by providing pertinent information and interacts with the Commission to investigate more efficient operating procedures and new BG activities.
· The CEO apprises the Commission of trends, changing circumstances and unexpected occurrences that could call for innovation or adaptation of the business plan.
· The CEO helps to set and maintain high standards for all facilities, services and communications.
· The CEO oversees all programs, services and activities to ensure objectives are met.
· The CEO oversees all membership and public relations communications and marketing activities.
· The CEO maintains a comprehensive knowledge of operational procedures and principles used throughout BG and takes responsibility in developing, maintaining and documenting consistent procedures.
· The CEO fulfils the public obligations of BG as a participating member of the community.
Reports to: The Basketball Geelong Commission
Supervisory Responsibilities (subject to change following organisational structure review):
· Operations Manager
· Basketball Development and Pathways Manager
· Commercial Partnerships Manager
· Competitions Manager
· Elite Teams and Competitions Coordinator
· Referee Supervisor
· Other staff & support services (canteen, elite team coaches, customer service officers)
Candidates applying for the Chief Executive Officer role will require a range of personal and professional skills, including:
· Prior experience working in a customer service-based organisation with an understanding of administration and servicing.
· Proven sport, venue/facility and/or business management experience at a similar scale of operations will be highly regarded.
· Knowledge and understanding of corporate governance and current management issues, trends and sporting industry practices and developments.
· Ability to lead, develop, coach and influence others; providing politically sensitive, inspirational and charismatic leadership to staff, volunteers and members.
· Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with proven ability to interact and manage a variety of stakeholder relationships (including internal: Board, staff, volunteers and members; as well as external including all levels of government, industry associations, sport governing bodies, sponsors, tenants, neighbours, compliance authorities).
· Experience in successfully working with Boards and/or senior committees.
· Commercially savvy with strong marketing and PR skills and the ability to secure, maintain and service sponsors.
· Demonstrable success in managing budgets.
· A capacity to work to deadlines in a busy environment, and communicate priorities to staff to direct work flows.
· Adaptability, flexibility and innovative to accommodate change and provide responsive services to meet member needs now and into the future.
· Ability to assess and analyse potential or existing problems, and to provide appropriate solutions.
· Ability to develop and implement innovative marketing and business strategies to enhance business performance.
· Tertiary qualifications in Sport Management, Business or a related area of study will be essential.
HOURS OF WORK
This is a full time position. The role requires flexible hours, including evenings and weekends, to cater for the needs and operations of BG and its members.
An attractive remuneration package will be available to the successful candidate, negotiable depending upon the skill level and experiences. At the time of applying candidates are invited to indicate their current salary and salary expectations.
Candidates are also invited to discuss their salary expectations with the Chairman prior to applying.
The BG office is located at AWA Alliance Bank Stadium 20 Crows Road, Belmont.
Submit your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. For a confidential conversation about the position prior to submitting your application, please contact Commissioner Mark Talbot on 0411 202 863.
Applications will close on Friday 23 November 2018.
Interviews are expected to be completed by mid-December 2018 with the successful candidate expected to commence in January 2019.