Graduate Plant Breeder
Advertiser: Australian Grain Technologies (AGT)More jobs from this company
- Job Listing Date
- 21 Nov 2018
- Adelaide Hills & Barossa
- Work Type
- Full Time
- Science & Technology, Other
Australian Grain Technologies (AGT) is Australia’s largest plant breeding company with a focus on delivering field crop varieties with superior performance to Australian farmers. AGT has a vibrant team of breeders and researchers who use the latest technology to develop new plant varieties.
Are you a motivated graduate who has recently competed or close to satisfying your Ph.D. requirements in a relevant agricultural science? Are you looking to grow your knowledge and breeding skills whilst making a real difference in the agricultural arena? This position offers a rare and exciting opportunity for you to grow your career in a dynamic and successful breeding company. Some of the leading plant breeders in the world will mentor the successful candidate and they will support you in your growth and development. This unique opportunity will translate your studies into commercial reality while you further develop your knowledge and skills. AGT is committed to training and development in a wide range of technical and non-technical areas.
- Focus on maintaining and continually improving research methods & techniques in plant breeding
- Undertake and manage field plot experiments including seeding and harvest work
- Identify and select plants exhibiting desirable traits and elite breeding germplasm
- Design crosses to produce new breeding material for field and glasshouse trials
- Analyse and interpret laboratory and field trials and selection of the best varieties
- Follow standardised AGT breeding procedures
- Ensure adequate availability of high quality breeder’s seed of near-to-release varieties
- Assist in implementation of new technologies/methods for the breeding programs
- Administration and record keeping
Qualifications and Characteristics
- Tertiary qualified in agricultural science or a related discipline
- Recently completed Ph.D.
- Excellent communication skills, adept at developing strong interpersonal relationships, self-motivator, and an excellent time manager.
- A recognition of the importance of promoting a good work culture and understanding of the importance of building a safe workplace is essential
If you fit the criteria then you may be our ideal candidate.
More information on AGT can be found at our website http://www.agtbreeding.com.au/
Apply today, applications close 14th December 2018 with interviews conducted in January 2019.