Advertiser: Vision EnvironmentMore jobs from this company
- Job Listing Date
- 29 Nov 2018
- Gladstone & Central QLD
- Work Type
- Full Time
- Science & Technology, Environmental, Earth & Geosciences
Vision Environment (VE)
Location: Gladstone, Central QLD
If you're looking for a sea change
· To a warm sunny climate which varies little over the year
· To great fishing and diving adjacent to the Great Barrier Reef
· To live in a rapidly growing regional QLD centre
· To be part of an expanding environmental business and member of a friendly committed team of scientists
· To contribute to a range of exciting and challenging new projects both in Australia and New Zealand
Then this is the job for you!
Vision Environment Overview
VE is responsible for several large marine water quality and ecological monitoring projects in Queensland and New Zealand. VEs core business is provision of automated real time monitoring data through custom designed marine water quality monitoring buoys to a cloud database visual display system for our clients. Validation of that data occurs through physical (vessel based) monitoring which includes ecological surveys. VE is a small niche environmental consulting business with some large projects.
The Environmental Scientist will be responsible for monitoring, equipment and reporting. This will involve:
- Preparation for field including instrument calibration and maintenance
- Undertaking project related fieldwork including marine water quality monitoring and ecological surveys (fish, mangroves, corals, sediments and macrobenthic)
- Construction, assembly and deployment of telemetered monitoring equipment
- Data analysis, including statistics, interpretation and report writing
- Familiarity with and adherence to HSEQ policies and procedures
- Participation in SCUBA diving operations and assessments if qualified
- Honours or Post-graduate qualifications, or equivalent experience focusing on the marine environment
- Proven experience in the marine environment, including working on, and in the water
- Familiarity with water sampling techniques such as depth profiles and water grab sampling and ecological surveys
- Use of aquatic and oceanographic monitoring equipment such as hand held YSI, data loggers, deployed PAR loggers, sedimeters and ADCP
- Experience with real time monitoring equipment
- Experience with data analysis, graphing, word processing and presentation programs, such as Excel usage with macros and visual basic coding, SPSS, Sigmaplot, ARC GIS, Word etc.
- Demonstrated writing experience and ability
- Manual drivers licence
- PADI Rescue certification or higher
- Ability to configure, deploy and diagnose data loggers, cellular modems and oceanography instruments
- Integration of remote data collectors and automated server services
- Applied electronics experience (are you someone who is able to apply their electronics knowledge to field situations?)
- Basic knowledge in:
- Serial communications and their protocols
- Data management fundamentals
- PI systems: SQL skills, OSISoft PI suite, Visual KPI UI, .NET coding skills
If you believe you have the qualities and experience that we are looking for to join our highly motivated team, please submit your CV addressing the selection criteria and additionally outlining your abilities to perform the required duties of the role.
Your application will be viewed more favorably if accompanied by a cover letter addressing the selection criteria.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
You must be eligible to immediately commence work in Australia to apply for this role. VE will not support VISA applicants.
All responses via SEEK. No direct applications accepted.