Advertiser: Westgate Research Pty LtdMore jobs from this company
- Job Listing Date
- 3 Dec 2018
- Blue Mountains & Central West
- Work Type
- Part Time
- Science & Technology, Laboratory & Technical Services
Position based in Orange, NSW.
Responsible for performing a variety of specialised tasks in both a Laboratory environment and field of Nematology for the Turfgrass and Agriculture industry. Carrying out diagnostic and analytical services for both internal and external use.
Major Duties & Responsibilities:
- Help operate a small Scientific Laboratory.
- Perform routine diagnostic screens of plant material for the presence of Nematode diagnostics, extraction and identification.
- Perform plant diagnostic work and interpret results.
- Report writing for both plant pathogen and plant parasitic nematode identification.
- Coordinate and schedule sample arrival/departure and preparation with clients.
- Communicate test results with clients and maintain a database of works conducted.
- When required, participate in other diagnostic services in the office and/or data gathering for field trial work as required.
- Field trial work may also be required.
- Knowledge and understanding of Nematodes and extraction methods is essential.
- Demonstrated ability to organise and prioritise tasks and perform multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Must thrive in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment and work well in a team.
- Must be able to effectively communicate in English, both verbally, written and work as part of a small team.
- Experience in collecting, identifying and maintaining all major agricultural plant parasitic nematodes.
- Experience in laboratory management and management of greenhouse and laboratory studies involving plant-parasitic nematodes and plant pathogens, including experimental design, setup, data collection and data analysis.
- Proficiency with scientific record-keeping such as Laboratory notebooks and protocol development.
- Must be able to work autonomously and have an aptitude to learn new techniques.
- Daily lab upkeep including proper care and use of laboratory equipment.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree, Masters or PhD in any science discipline related to our scope of work.
- Proficient and accurate computer skills (MS Word & Excel) for reporting and data entry.
- Demonstrated laboratory experience in Nematodes/plant pathology or entomology is highly regarded.
- Knowledge of Fungicides/Herbicides/Insecticides is desirable.
- Flexible but would like 2-3 days per week.
- A generous salary/wage will be negotiated upon interview.