- Job Listing Date
- 7 Dec 2018
- Western QLD
- Work Type
- Full Time
- Farming, Animals & Conservation, Other
- Competitive remuneration
- Food allowance
- Development and training
- Transfer opportunities to align with development
We are looking to share the Australian experience and require employees from a diverse range of backgrounds with a variety of skills, talents and aspirations, and a strong work ethic to join us.
Our team at South Galway are looking for a Leading Hand to join the crew. As the Leading Hand, you will be responsible for assisting the Management team of the station in all manner of station activities, and act as a mentor and trainer for the stock staff in the development of their skills. This role is an excellent opportunity for both an established Leading Hand, or an experienced and dedicated Station Hand looking to make a big leap in their career.
Throughout our AACo operations, safety is a top priority and, as such, all employees must be absolutely committed to following our disciplined safety policies and procedures.
South Galway is located in the heart of Channel Country, 400km south west of Longreach or 1,300km west of Brisbane by road. Situated on Coopers Creek, it is a part of what is regarded as some of the best natural fattening country in the world.
Duties & responsibilities
Duties will include, but are not limited to:
- Perform your job in a safe manner in line with AACo safety programs and procedures
- Take responsibility for your safe work behaviour
- Assist Manager to lead and train station stock staff into an effective operational team.
- Assist in welfare management of horses and cattle
- Record accurate stock numbers
- Ability to work alone as well as in a team environment
- Ensure the station meets the requirements of the company Quality Assurance program
- Previous experience in a similar role
- Competent in horse riding, motor bike riding and cattle handling
- Current drivers licence
- Experience with welding and maintenance work
- Current firearms license required
- MR Truck Licence – not essential
- Machinery operation experience
- Ability to organise daily and weekly work schedules
- Q Fever Vaccination
- This job can be physically strenuous (demanding) from time to time. You will be expected to be able to walk, climb, bend, kneel, lift, grip, grasp, push and pull various tools and equipment. You will need the ability to frequently lift, push and pull from 10–20 kilo’s and occasionally more.
- This job will require the ability to ascend/descend ladders.
- You will be required to wear personal protective equipment, including hats, gloves, safety glasses, covered shoes, and respiratory protection and ear protection as appropriate.
- This job requires the ability to comprehend written and oral operational and safety instructions and related rules, policies and memos, and to communicate clearly with your co-workers and supervisors.
This is a physical job that includes both indoor and outdoor work in all types of weather and temperature environments.
Single or couple air-conditioned accommodation
As soon as possible
Remuneration will match the level of skill and experience demonstrated upon application.
This is not a complete list of job responsibilities and Job Descriptions may vary between sites.
Applications and Enquiries
To apply to this or any other roles, please click on the ‘Apply for this position” button below.