Personal Support Carer / Support Rider (Cyclist)
Advertiser: Geelong Adventure SpecialistsMore jobs from this company
- Job Listing Date
- 2 Jan 2019
- Melbourne, CBD & Inner Suburbs
- Work Type
- Community Services & Development, Aged & Disability Support
Geelong Adventure Specialists is seeking a Support Rider / Personal Support Carer to assist a male high-level quadriplegic on training rides in Melbourne 2-3 times per week. Candidates must also be available to assist on the client's Burke & Wills Cycling Expedition, riding from Melbourne to Darwin (April/March).
Burke & Wills Cycling Expedition
SUPPORT RIDER OPPORTUNITY
Our client is looking for the right person who wants to experience a cycling expedition, fulfilling the role of Support Rider & Personal Support Carer.
He/she will be part of a small team assisting a male high-level quadriplegic to handcycle from Melbourne to Darwin.
Despite the client’s high-level quadriplegia, he has flown solo around Australia and paddled the length of the Murray River.
His 2019 challenge is to handcycle over 4200 km’s from Melbourne to Darwin, generally following the Burke & Wills inland route passing through Birdsville Qld.
It is anticipated that approximately 100km will be cycled each day, through back roads, highways and arterial roads on sealed and unsealed surfaces. These roads will be suitable for the 2wd support vehicle to travel on.
Accommodation will predominantly be camping on the road side in tents, however caravan parks or motels may be used in towns when necessary.
A support vehicle will carry all gear and go ahead to lunch and overnight camp locations with the Support rider, cycling with the client.
The trip is anticipated to take approximately eight (8) weeks with rest days at specific locations.
A Support Driver will be the second support team member, responsible for driving the support vehicle with trailer and assist with the client’s personal care needs.
The clients personal care and other duties will be split between the Support Rider and Support Driver on an alternating basis or as required.
• Adventurous spirit
• Motivated to make a difference in other people’s lives
• Physically fit
• Displays initiative and get things done
• Fine with early mornings and long days
• Reliable and easily adjusts to changing circumstances
• Ride with the client and provide assistance with food, hydration, clothing, cooling, etc
• Assist the client with personal care in the mornings including, bowel care, showering, dressing, transferring, etc, and general assistance where needed
• Assist the client into bed and night routine
• Assist client in/out of handcycle and any other mobility assistance as necessary
• Assist setting up the client’s camp
• Set up own tent
• Assist with meal duties
Skills and Experience
• Able to consistently ride a bicycle approximately 100km/d and up to 130km if necessary, on varying terrain
• Proficient in undertaking general bicycle repairs
• Experience in personal care for high level quadriplegics, includes transferring that requires lifting, bowel care, showering, dressing and general assistance
• CPR & First Aid – Ideally Remote Area First Aid or be willing to do a course
• Must have a full current Driver’s License
• Capable to drive a van with a trailer
• Depart between 25th March – 1st April 2019. Return approx 27th May 2019. The applicant needs to have flexibility as delays may occur, extending the end date
• The person must be available to attend training and team meetings in Melbourne prior to departure
· Bicycle and spares suitable for road and unsealed road conditions
· Tent, sleeping equipment, all-weather clothing, and personal items
· Training will be provided in personal care including transferring
· Consideration will be given to applicants with limited personal care experience
Transport will be provided
Many nights will be camping on the road side. Some nights may be at a caravan park or motel - these costs will be covered
Costs not covered
Remuneration is provided
Apply by: 11th January.