- Job Listing Date
- 8 Jan 2019
- Brisbane, CBD & Inner Suburbs
- Work Type
- Part Time
- Education & Training, Teaching - Primary
About Autism Queensland
Autism Queensland is one of Australia's most experienced providers of specialised education, therapy and support services for people with ASD and their families. For further information please visit www.autismqld.com.au.
About the Role
Autism Queensland is seeking an experienced Teacher to teach students in Years 5 to 6 from the beginning of Term 1, January 2019. This position is a permanent role at 7 days per fortnight, Wednesday to Friday and every second Monday or Tuesday.
This position is part of a interdisciplinary team, that supports students in a shared placement between a mainstream "home school" and the AQ school. As such, the successful candidate will teach the class 3 days per week (Wednesday to Friday) and work collaboratively for 1 day per fortnight (Monday or Tuesday) with each home school to support their adjusted program.
Students will at times display significantly challenging behaviours hence experience with ASD and positive behaviour support is essential and post graduate qualifications in Special Education/ASD is highly desirable.
To view the position description for this role, please visit the Work With Us page on our website - https://autismqld.com.au/page/workwithus
- To deliver the Australian Curriculum with appropriate and individualised educational adjustments for Primary students
- Undertake assessment of children for purposes of programming and to identify appropriate level and service delivery options
- Design, prepare and implement suitable individualised educational programs for each child
- Monitor each child's progress through observation, data collection and information exchange with parents, AQ colleagues and external stakeholders
- Work collaboratively as part of a interdisciplinary team to reduce educational barriers for children to access all aspects of the curriculum
- Liaise with parent(s), other carers, and relevant stakeholders
- Maintain accurate records of all communication regarding student needs and programs
- Prepare detailed student reports on a regular basis and as required
- Schedule and provide regular direct contact and/or observation sessions for parents
- Playground duty as timetabled
Skills & Experience required
Tertiary qualifications in Education and/or Special Education
Current registration with Queensland College of Teachers
Experience teaching primary aged children with ASD and/or special needs
Culture & Benefits
Autism Queensland is an inspiring, caring and fun place to work with supportive, passionate and friendly colleagues and leaders who value your contribution and share your commitment to achieving work-life balance. Your work will be both challenging and rewarding and you will find scope and support for personal as well as professional development. You'll also enjoy the financial benefits of our generous salary sacrificing program!
How To Apply
If this vacancy is of interest to you, please apply asap! Your application should include:
1. A cover letter identifying the reasons you are applying
2. A current CV / resume with contact details of at least two referees (who will only be contacted with your explicit consent following interview);
3. Details of current professional registration, Blue Card or Yellow Card if/as relevant.
- Which of the following statements best describes your right to work in Australia?
- Do you have current teacher's registration in Australia?
- How much notice are you required to give your current employer?
- Do you have experience working with children with special needs?
- What's your expected annual base salary?