COO: Road freight, heavy haulage, projects & more!
Advertiser: 21 TrianglesMore jobs from this company
- Job Listing Date
- 9 Jan 2019
- Brisbane, CBD & Inner Suburbs
- Work Type
- Full Time
- CEO & General Management, General/Business Unit Manager
Reporting to the Directors with full P&L accountability & supported by a loyal & skilled management team, this Brisbane - based role is an amazing & unique opportunity!
The business has been operational for decades with a strong financial base & an enviable industry reputation. The fleet & its operations are diverse, extending from contract logistics & general freight, through to heavy haulage & special projects. As a well-earned bonus, long-term customers have been so happy with the service they were keen to award more contracts last year with more ideally-suited opportunities in the pipeline for 2019 - a fantastic reflection on customer dedication & the professionalism of the whole team.
To be successful in this role:
- You will need to be commercially-savvy with experience in a senior role in a transport company where you have been responsible for the performance of others & have demonstrated your ability to create measurably strong processes & outcomes in profitability, customer satisfaction, safety & compliance.
- You will need to be operationally familiar with "messier" areas like general freight and heavy haulage, where every job is different & ongoing success combines knowledge, structured processes & outcome-oriented flexibility;
- You will also need a solid practical understanding of the bigger & smaller pictures of contract logistics where getting the settings right are vital for designing & costing workable contracts, customer care is crucial & minor improvements can make all the difference; and
- As much as any of those things, your personal style will be one that converts strategy into operational reality in a way that is inclusive, supportive & empowering of your management team while also challenging them in ways that support their own achievement & fulfillment. Likewise, this will include them doing the same for the people they are responsible for supporting.
- It is important to the Directors that the culture is one where every employee cares, makes a difference and knows they are truly appreciated. Yes, this is "transport", but no, its not the old formula where power is the main management tool - it's about supporting & enabling people to be their best & do their best work. This will be your leadership style
And at a time when the business has just completed a revitalisation and reorientation of structure, operations and culture, this opportunity is perfectly timed for a leader who has technical expertise in refining systems, processes and compliance. Is there a better way? A safer way? A more efficient way? Together, let's find it & do it!
Even more, because there are so many highly talented & dedicated people in the team, it's about gaining their support & helping their continuing growth in personal capacity, performance and confidence.
About you: Along with broad-ranging road transport expertise, you will have specific knowledge of important state transport regulations, rules and laws. You will have a deep understanding of P&Ls, cashflow management, invoicing & general accountancy practices. You will have significant experience costing, negotiating and understanding contracts. You will be a skilled communicator with clients, representing the business & its needs while building trusting relationships with customers, including at senior levels in Tier 1 companies. You will also have the capacity, authority and respect to communicate effectively with the Directors, as well as the focus, interpersonal & leadership skills to engage with, enable & support your team. In your application you will be able to demonstrate significant success in doing all of these things. As you can see, the business takes its professional obligations, reputation & culture very seriously.
The very generous remuneration package on offer recognizes the skill & capabilities of the successful applicant & the importance of the role, with flexibility to tailor it in ways that work for everyone. Opportunities like this aren't common, so if you think it is one that is a good fit for your experience & aspirations, click the button to apply now. Please don't forget to add your resume & anything else you feel might be helpful.
*Please note - this opportunity has become available due to the current very successful COO wishing to transfer to a strategic advisory role in accordance with his own life change plans. A phased transition over time is planned to ensure continuity & support for the incoming COO and the business.
- Which of the following statements best describes your right to work in Australia?
- What's your expected annual base salary?
- How many years' experience do you have as a general manager?
- What's the largest size team you have managed?
- What's your highest level of education?