Early Childhood Educator
Advertiser: Doveton CollegeMore jobs from this company
- Job Listing Date
- 12 Jan 2019
- Melbourne, Bayside & South Eastern Suburbs
- $75,000 - $89,999
- Work Type
- Full Time
- Education & Training, Teaching - Early Childhood
About the business
The creation of the new Doveton College is a unique and exemplary project for the Victorian Education System. Doveton College has grown from the Doveton Regeneration Project that was made possible by a joint funding arrangement between the Victorian Government, the Federal Government and the Colman Foundation. Doveton College will act as an educational beacon within the City of Casey.
While other regeneration projects have had the broad agenda of raising educational standards in low performing and socially vulnerable areas, this project is the first to specifically target a particular "at-risk" community with the aim of drastically boosting educational standards, and hence whole of life opportunities for the children of the community through early intervention, family support, and community integration. As such, the project is unique in Victoria, and possibly Australia.
A fundamental need In Doveton is for more pre-school education and early intervention before children attend primary school. The recent Doveton Eumemmerring survey indicated that 24% of residents were not aware of educational services at kindergarten compared with 12.3% who did know about educational services at primary school. Fewer than 80% of children entered primary school in Doveton having attended kindergarten compared to 94% statewide. The current DEECD target is 96% kindergarten attendance. According to OECD PISA research, the ramifications of poor pre-school attendance is for students to achieve below the expected standard on reaching school and to fall further behind their better performing peers as they get older. In order to prevent the widening of this gap, early intervention and specialist support throughout the pre-school years and during the early years of primary education is essential. Doveton College provides this.
About the role
There are three components to this position:
Leading the planning, implementation and evaluation of an appropriate educational program for very young children attending the Early Childhood Centre, Doveton College. This position will require you to work as a degree qualified educator across the whole early learning program.
Acting as an educational leader of the staff in the early learning program. You will act as a mentor and support other educators to deliver high quality programs for young children and families.
As an educational leader you will demonstrate the following specialist knowledge, qualities and skills:
- Commitment to ensuring that the vision and mission statements are enacted
- High level problem solving abilities, capacity to set priorities, establish realistic goals and support other educators to do the same
- Excellent skills in communicating with children, families, staff, professionals and community members
- Cultural competence
- Ability to reflect, critically evaluate and assess the effectiveness of work practices as an ongoing learner
- Capacity to improve professional practice by seeking meaningful learning opportunities for yourself and other educators based on current theory
- Ability to implement innovative and inclusive ways of acknowledging diversity within the community to improve service delivery
- Ability to work as part of a team, under the supervision of the Assistant Principal Early Childhood Pedagogy.
Skills and experience
A relevant tertiary Degree qualification in Early Childhood is mandated for this position. Experience in working with children 0 - 6 years old.
Early Childhood Educators and Teachers with a dual early childhood/teaching degree currently registered or eligible for registration with the Victorian Institute of Teaching and qualified to teach and/or have demonstrated experience in the curriculum area(s) specified for the position.
- Which of the following statements best describes your right to work in Australia?
- Do you have experience planning and implementing education programs in an early learning environment?
- Have you worked in a role which requires a sound understanding of the early years learning framework?
- Have you completed a Bachelor of Education - Early Childhood?