Aboriginal / Torres Strait Islander Male Counsellor
Advertiser: Gallang Place Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander CorporationMore jobs from this company
- Job Listing Date
- 7 Feb 2019
- Brisbane, CBD & Inner Suburbs
- Work Type
- Full Time
- Community Services & Development, Indigenous & Multicultural Services
This position has been identified as a genuine occupational requirement that it be filled by an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Male as permitted by and arguable under sections 25, 104 and 105 of the Queensland Anti-Discrimination Act (1991).
Gallang Place is a not-for-profit Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Community based organisation.
- Diploma of Counselling or equivalent will be considered, or
- experience in working with Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander men within the social and emotional health and wellbeing sector
Skills and Experience:
- 2-5 years experience working with Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander men, especially work in social and emotional health and wellbeing sector.
- Understanding of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander culture and contemporary issues, especially for men and their families.
- Understanding of Trauma-Informed practices or willingness to learn.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Provide culturally appropriate and trauma-informed counselling; maintain cultural safety, confidentiality, and respect for self-determination
- Committed to being an effective team member
- Liaise with appropriate support services and programs relevant to client's healing process
- Commitment to on-going professional development, including professional supervision.
- Must possess a current drivers license
- High standard of communication and conflict resolution skills
- Intermediate Computer skills and above
- Qualifications are desirable but not essential
What we offer YOU:
- Experience in a Not-For-Profit, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community based organisation
- Professional development opportunities
If you feel you would be suited to this position please apply by Thursday 21st February 2019 in writing via the link provided.
- Which of the following statements best describes your right to work in Australia?
- Do you have a current Police Check (National Police Certificate) for employment?
- Do you have a current Australian driver's licence?
- How much notice are you required to give your current employer?
- How many years' experience do you have as a counsellor?