Advertiser: Pallara SS Parents and Citizens AssociationMore jobs from this company
- Job Listing Date
- 11 Feb 2019
- Brisbane, CBD & Inner Suburbs
- Work Type
- Education & Training, Student Services
Tuckshop Convenor, Pallara State School
Pallara State School is an environmentally considerate and community minded school with a thriving positive working environment for both volunteers and employees that is rapidly growing due to significant developments in the local area.
The Pallara State School P&C Association is looking for a motivated person with a passion for cooking and children's health to join the team as Tuckshop Convenor.
The Convenor will be in charge of the day to day operation of the Pallara State School tuckshop, for 3 days per week (initially) and will be supported by a team of volunteers. The successful applicant being employed by the P&C Association, initially up to 22.5 hours per week (during school terms) on a casual basis for 6 months, with possibility of extension.
The successful applicant will be required to hold a current Qld Working with Children Check/Qld Positive Notice (Blue Card) as well as Food Safety Supervisor Certificate.
Applicants should provide a written response to the selection criteria (maximum 2 pages) along with a current Resume containing at least two referees. In the event that a response to the selection criteria is longer than 2 pages, the panel will consider only the information contained within the first 2 pages.
All applications must be submitted via Seek by 3pm on Thursday 28th Feb. Late applications may not be considered. Enquiries can be made to the P&C President at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In your application, please provide a brief response to the following selection criteria (maximum 2 pages). The panel will review all responses and determine the suitability of applicants for interview.
SC1 - Possess knowledge and organisational skills necessary to operate a financially viable school tuckshop and the ability to follow approved procedures, utilising technology as needed. Specifically stock control and ordering, menu planning in line with the Smart Choices strategy, pricing and revenue management.
SC2 Skills and experience in food preparation with detailed knowledge of food safety, hygiene practices and workplace health and safety requirements
SC3 - Communication and interpersonal skills necessary to relate to a wide range of people including staff, volunteers, students and other members of the school community and the ability to develop strong working relationships with various stakeholders including the P&C Executive and school administration.
SC4 - Ability to recruit, supervise and train volunteers as part of a successful tuckshop team.
SC5 – A commitment and a willingness to support the values of Pallara State School and the Pallara State School P&C association by fostering a welcoming and inclusive environment.
Position: Tuckshop Convenor
Location: Pallara State School
Salary: As per applicable award
Status: Casual – Retail Manager
Reports to: Pallara P&C Association President
Hours: Up to 22.5 / week (during school terms)
Probationary Period: 3 months
Employment Period: 6 months, with possibility of extension
Role of this Position
To be responsible for the effective and efficient operation of the Pallara State School tuckshop in accordance with the policies and directions as determined by the Pallara State School P&C Association. The tuckshop convenor is to operate the tuckshop in accordance with Smart Choices to provide a nutritious, hygienic and economically viable food service to the school community and to support healthy lifestyle messages that students learn in the classroom.
The position is accountable to the Pallara P&C Association President. The jobholder is employed by the Pallara P&C Association and will work in partnership with the Pallara P&C Association.
The convenor will also be required to develop and maintain positive working relationships with the school administration, in order to liaise with the school regarding the shared use of the school owned tuckshop facilities, and with school parents and community members, in order to recruit and manage a successful team of volunteers.
Duties and Responsibilities
- responsible for the day to day operation of the Pallara State School tuckshop within the guidelines and processes set by the school and P&C Association while establishing confidence within the school that food services can be delivered and continued
- actively promote the objectives and goals of the P&C Association within the school community which may include active involvement in P&C and school community events from time to time
- foster a continuous quality improvement approach to managing the tuckshop which may include liaising with the Queensland Association of School Tuckshops (QAST) and networking with other tuckshop convenors so as to keep up with the changing needs of the school community
- work in conjunction with the P&C to develop and work within the tuckshop budget
- develop a menu to meet the principles as set out in the Smart Choices Strategy to provide a healthy range of food for students, staff and community members;
- set menu prices and manage stock ordering to ensure the continued financial viability of the service
- order stock from suppliers approved by the P&C Association in accordance with stock management procedures;
- order, receive and check all supplies against invoices and delivery dockets with independent verification before handing over to the P&C Treasurer for payment in accordance with Pallara State School P&C Association Financial Operating Guidelines;
- pick up stock from local suppliers as needed
- perform a stock take each in accordance with P&C operating guidelines (currently at the end of each month)
- ensure stock is stored in accordance with correct food handling and hygiene procedures;
- maintain high standards of hygiene in handling, preparing and serving food and in accordance with any applicable mandatory food safety legislation;
- ensure workplace, healthy and safety standards are enforced;
- ensure that the cleaning essential to the main function of the tuckshop is carried out routinely and to a high standard;
- manage and utilise an online ordering system in accordance with the Pallara P&C Association Financial Operating Guidelines and support the policy to minimise cash takings
- ensure all daily takings are kept secure and prepared for banking in accordance with the Pallara P&C Association Financial Operating Guidelines;
- supervise and manage any future staff members under this position's delegation;
- actively recruit and manage volunteers including coordination of the volunteer roster;
- provide training, supervision and support to all tuckshop volunteers
- determine strategies with the P&C President for backfill for this position in the event of illness or extended periods of absence
- maintain a tuckshop environment that is inclusive and conducive to supportive and productive discussions ensuring a positive experience for all students, school staff and volunteers;
- observe the security of the tuckshop including restricting access to authorised persons only;
- liaise with the school administration around the shared use of the school owned tuckshop facilities
- attend meetings with school administration and/or P&C executive as required;
- prepare a written report for the P&C President to present at regular monthly P&C meetings for endorsement;
- engage in the development and implementation of a performance review and training and development plan
- any other duties as directed by the employer
The performance of the Tuckshop convenor will be measured by:
- Quality and nutritional value of the tuckshop menu
- Customer satisfaction (staff, students and broader community)
- Risk minimisation in relation to food safety and workplace health and safety
- Profitability of the tuckshop
Holding a current Commission for Children and Young People Blue Card is a mandatory requirement of this position.
Food Safety Supervisor Certificate
Obtaining or holding the two units of competency required to be a Food Safety Supervisor is a mandatory requirement of this position. The units are SITXFSA001 Use hygienic practices for food safety (previously SITXOHS002A) and SITXFSA002 Participate in safe food handling practices (previously SITXFSA001A).
Hours of Work
This is a school term-based position, with standard working hours of this position will be negotiated with the successful applicant, however they will primarily be during school opening hours. The appointee may be requested to work outside standard working hours on occasion in order to fulfil the requirements of this position. The Pallara P&C Association President will review your working hours with you on a periodic basis and any changes to your working days will be made when necessary to suit the business needs.
- Which of the following statements best describes your right to work in Australia?