Bail Service Support Officer - BAI1001
Advertiser: Caxton Legal Centre IncMore jobs from this company
- Job Listing Date
- 29 Mar 2019
- Brisbane, CBD & Inner Suburbs
- Work Type
- Full Time
- Community Services & Development, Other
Bail Service Support Officer – REF: BAI1001
Position: Bail Service Support Officer
Classification: Level 4
Remuneration: $ 69,501 plus super and attractive salary packaging options
Type: Full time fixed term contract till 30 June 2021
An opportunity to make a difference
Caxton Legal Centre represents the interests of people who are disadvantaged or low-income earners when they come into contact with the Law. Caxton is seeking a Bail Service Support Officer, to work in a newly funded program to assist prisoners on remand to seek bail. The successful candidate will have a basic knowledge of the legal framework, exceptional communication skills and an ability to gather information from culturally and linguistically diverse clients during time limited phone calls.
- Responsible for manning the dedicated phone line for prisoners on remand
- Ability to collect key information to determine client need in a limited time period
- Collate documents and organise paperwork for lodgement with the Court
- Prepare routine reports for internal and external purposes
- Triage information from numerous sources to assist lawyers to determine eligibility for bail
- Undertake legal research and analysis on a range of issues and prepare reports and case summaries
- Draft correspondence, briefs to counsel and court documents
- Assist in court preparation, including discovery related tasks and general document management
- Complete client and matter reporting, including budget and resourcing considerations
- Assist with legal support services and administrative duties as required
- Prior experience working as a Paralegal highly regarded
- Bachelor’s Degree in Law or Social Work (highly regarded) or relevant experience
- Eligible to pass a criminal history check
- Demonstrated experience working with vulnerable clients or clients from a culturally or linguistically diverse backgrounds
- Excellent attention to detail and consistent high standards of work
- Ability to ‘think on your feet' and work independently in the absence of specific instruction
- Superior time management skills and the ability to multi-task and meet relevant deadlines
- Ability to appropriately deal with sensitive and highly confidential information with a high level of tact, discretion and judgement
- Strong communication skills, particularly in obtaining information from clients
Strong organisational skills and attention to detail will assist in collating and organising paperwork associated with bail applications for lodgement with the Court.
If you are interested in joining a team who are highly committed to social justice and value diversity and human rights, please send your cover letter addressing the key accountabilities and essential requirements along with your CV quoting reference: BAIL1001 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications must be received by close of business Friday 19 April 2019. Due to the high volume of applications, only those successful in gaining an interview will be contacted.
- Which of the following statements best describes your right to work in Australia?
- What's your expected annual base salary?
- How much notice are you required to give your current employer?
- Have you completed a qualification in community services?