Full stack web developer - Contests & Projects
Advertiser: 99designsMore jobs from this company
- Job Listing Date
- 30 Apr 2019
- Melbourne, CBD & Inner Suburbs
- Work Type
- Full Time
- Information & Communication Technology, Developers/Programmers
Are you a software engineer with a passion for web development, who wants to help us connect the world with great graphic design? Do you appreciate the value of clean, well thought-out and reliable code? If you answered yes, great. Read on to learn more about who we are, what we need, and what we can offer you.
99designs is the world’s global creative platform that makes it easier for customers and designers to work together to create designs they love. Our mission is to champion creativity to create opportunities for people around the world. Founded in 2008, 99designs has grown from a small, online forum into a worldwide community of talented designers that is now the go-to solution for businesses, agencies and individuals
About working with us
We’re a global team with a philosophy of encouraging passionate people to be fun and creative. With offices in Melbourne, Oakland, and Berlin we benefit from bringing together the experiences and viewpoints of a wide range of talented people from around the world. We believe a diverse workplace is a healthy workplace.
We have plenty of exciting engineering challenges that you could help us solve, and we encourage engineers to help us find new ways to improve our products. We care about quality and strive to keep our systems modular and our code clean. We constantly refine our processes and tools with the aim to make developers happy, efficient and able to focus on building great products. We love shipping, continuous delivery is in our DNA; anyone on the team can deploy to production, and we do so many times a day. We also have a number of open source projects which we proudly develop and maintain.
99designs employees enjoy many benefits including:
- Flexible working hours and the opportunity to work from home when you need to
- Continual training and learning, conference attendance, in-house mentoring and fortnightly R&D days
- Health and wellness programs like yoga, a running club, a fresh towel service and quiet spaces
- A fully stocked kitchen, with enough food to make delicious breakfast and lunch every day, including an industrial-strength coffee machine, free snacks and weekly delivered lunches
- An active social club, with events for you and your family
- Paid parental leave
- Top-of-the-line Mac gear
About the team
You'll be joining the team responsible for the core products on 99designs where designers and clients get work done. We create and support the platform that guides our users through the design process. The main focus of our team is the Contests and Projects platforms.
Contests is a platform for clients to open their design brief to our entire design community and get creative responses from multiple designers. Clients collaborate with multiple designers to find their ideal design.
Projects is a workspace for clients and designers to collaborate 1-to-1; it’s a purpose-built platform that provides everything needed to create great design. We build tools for design collaboration, invoicing and file storage, among other things.
Our team is also responsible for the messaging and notifications systems at 99designs.
We have a healthy focus on growth, but don't believe in tricks. We put our end-users front-and-centre and aim to build authentic, helpful and delightful experiences that deliver real value.
About the role
On a day to day basis, you will:
- Make sustainable and high quality technical contributions across all levels of the stack.
- Collaborate with other engineers, product owners, designers and marketers to identify and solve challenging problems.
- Work on big projects, debug small production issues, perform infrastructure maintenance tasks and anything else it takes to build and support great software.
- Contribute ideas for new features and identify areas for improvement proactively.
- Analyse and improve application performance and reliability and take part in our on-call operations roster; "You build it, you run it".
At 99designs we care deeply about diversity and inclusion. We welcome applicants of all types, from all backgrounds that have the skills and experience we're looking for. We're flexible with exact skill sets of each candidate.
- Minimum 2 years commercial experience with a server-side language like PHP, Ruby or Golang
- A positive mindset: equal parts curious, collaborative, and can-do.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- An eagerness to learn new languages, frameworks and tools
- Commercial experience with Symfony or other PHP frameworks
- Commercial experience with Golang
- Experience in an "agile" environment, especially in iterative/continuous delivery.
- Experience with AWS, Docker and infrastructure as code.
- A love of open-source, building on the shoulders of giants.
- Demonstrated design and UX sensibilities.
- Experience with TypeScript, GraphQL and Apollo an added bonus.
To make an application, please click 'Apply' to upload a cover letter and your current resume.
- Which of the following statements best describes your right to work in Australia?
- How many years' experience do you have as a web developer?
- In your career as a software developer, what are you most proud of building and why?
- Anything else you want us to know?