Older Persons Advocacy and Legal Service Lawyer REF ELD01
Advertiser: Caxton Legal Centre IncMore jobs from this company
- Job Listing Date
- 1 May 2019
- Brisbane, CBD & Inner Suburbs
- Work Type
- Full Time
- Legal, Generalists - In-house
Older Persons Advocacy and Legal Service Lawyer – ELD01
Position: Older Persons Advocacy and Legal Service Lawyer
Classification: Level 6
Remuneration: $90,118 plus super and attractive salary packaging options
Type: full time fixed term contract until 30/06/2022
An opportunity to make a difference
Caxton Legal Centre represents the interests of people who are disadvantaged or low-income earners when they come into contact with the Law. Caxton is seeking an Older Persons Advocacy and Legal Service Lawyer to work in a newly funded program to assist older persons who have been identified of at risk of or experiencing elder abuse within a hospital setting. The successful applicant will be responsible for providing legal advice and casework to clients across the newly established Older Persons Advocacy and Legal Service (OPALS). The OPALS service will be situated in the Princess Alexandra Hospital and provided in partnership with Metro South Hospital and Health Service. The Older Persons Advocacy and Legal Service Lawyer is will responsible for providing secondary consultations to health professionals and working collaboratively to develop and refine the service. The Older Persons Advocacy and Legal Service Lawyer will also be required to deliver training to health service partner workers and work collaboratively with the OPALS community social worker.
- Apply and strengthen existing knowledge of relevant areas of law to deliver legal advice and casework as directed by the Director, Family and Elder Law Services.
- Work autonomously, embedded in the health service partner organisation, to assist older persons to enhance their decision-making agency and their safety, security and well-being.
- Work collaboratively to provide a holistic, client-centered service to diverse clients within a human rights framework.
- Work collaboratively to implement, develop and refine the health justice partnership and OPALS service.
- Deliver health service partner training and community education, engage in networking and maintain referral pathways and partnerships.
- Bachelor of Laws
- Eligible for admission as a legal practitioner of the Supreme Court of Queensland
- Current Unrestricted Practicing Certificate
- Demonstrated experience in domestic and family violence law, family law, general law, guardianship law and appointed decision making
- Obtain a National Police Certificate (criminal history check)
- Obtain a Working with children check (Blue Card)
- Family Conflict Resolution Training (desirable)
- Evidence that the applicant has current vaccination against, or is not susceptible to hepatitis B mean measles, mumps and rubella (MMR), whooping cough (varicella) and chicken pox (pertussis). This is an ongoing obligation for the duration of the role.
The successful applicant will be expected to maintain high standards of professional integrity whilst balancing professional obligations and collaborative working relationships. The successful applicant will have the ability to work with clients with complex legal and social issues and provide advice to clients who may have an impairment or be culturally or linguistically diverse.
If you are interested in joining a team who are highly committed to social justice and value diversity and human rights, please send your cover letter addressing the key accountabilities and essential requirements along with your CV quoting reference: ELD01 to email@example.com.
Applications must be received by close of business 13 May 2019. Due to the high volume of applications, only those successful in gaining an interview will be contacted.
- Which of the following statements best describes your right to work in Australia?
- Do you hold a current Australian legal practising certificate?
- What's your expected annual base salary?
- How much notice are you required to give your current employer?