- Job Listing Date
- 14 May 2019
- Brisbane, Southern Suburbs & Logan
- Work Type
- Sport & Recreation, Coaching & Instruction
Access Community Services Limited (ACSL) is Australia's leader and specialist in settlement, employment, training and youth and social enterprises for migrants, refugees and mainstream clients, in Queensland, particularly in the South East. As a community based, not for profit organisation limited by guarantee, we boast over a 30 year history of serving our local community which was originally established in Logan in 1984. We are committed to fostering community development, youth, settlement and employment initiatives and to providing personal support programs to address the needs of disadvantaged youth and community groups including migrants, refugees, humanitarian entrants and visa holders.
ACSL’s Vision is cohesive communities where all individuals are valued, participate economically and socially and experience a high quality of life. Social Inclusion is about ensuring all Australians feel included and valued, giving everyone the opportunity to participate fully in society. It’s about connecting local communities, family and friends in order to build and strengthen relationships and networks.
The Social Inclusion Support Services Division provides a range of services to eligible participants (including those from newly arrived migrant and refugee backgrounds) to support this goal. Programs within the division include support services specific to long-term settlement, youth, mental health, arts, culture and sport & recreation; vocational and complex case support, bilingual and bicultural support services and community capacity building services.
The Sports and Recreation Officer – Mentor, will be responsible for facilitating the delivery of the Multicultural Sports Club’s sports participation programs, taster sessions and events, whilst fostering and supporting the growth and development of Junior Community Coaches through professional development and mentorship. This leadership position plays a vital role in engaging young people into meaningful sporting activities that address barriers to engagement, foster skill development and encourage participation in the broader mainstream sport & recreation community. This is a casual position working 4 days (30.4 hours) per week.
- Plan, facilitate and review sport, recreation and social programs, activities and events for children and young people including the creation of a Multicultural Sporting Hub within the Ipswich region.
- Complete administration for allocated programs, ensuring data, WHS paperwork and reporting is kept up to date and provided to your manager in a timely manner.
- Oversee program delivery and administration of all Senior and Junior Community Coaches.
- Work collaboratively to achieve results for participants through networking and creating and sustaining partnerships with key stakeholders.
- Plan, facilitate and review the MSC’s Coach Development and Officiating Development Programs in collaboration with the Sport and Recreation Coordinator.
- Provide training and mentoring support to all Senior and Junior Community Coaches.
- Identify the training needs of Senior and Junior Community Coaches and MSC Volunteers and facilitate the delivery of associated training with the Sport and Recreation Coordinator.
- Conduct quarterly Coaching reviews with Senior and Junior Community Coaches and assist the Sport and Recreation Coordinator with bi-annual Individual Performance Plans for Coaches.
- Facilitate key maintenance and preparation of Gould Adams Park to support events and community bookings; including field marking, equipment control and community engagement and support.
- Work with Senior Sports and Recreation Officer and Coordinator to identify new opportunities for the MSC and provide assistance where necessary in developing program ideas and putting together grant applications and funding proposals.
- Monitor the effectiveness of sport, recreation and event policies and provide feedback on improvements to your manager where appropriate.
- Attend regular meetings with Sport & Recreation Coordinator, MyQ Manager and the extended team as required.
- Other tasks as requested by the Sports & Recreation Coordinator.
To be successful you must possess
- A minimum of 5 years coaching experience with a strong passion and interest in sport and recreation;
- Extensive experience in leadership and mentoring roles with young people, largely in a sport and recreation setting;
- Confidence in addressing the barriers young people from multicultural backgrounds face to participate in their community;
- Extensive knowledge of the relevance of sport & recreation to the development of individuals integrating into community;
- Strong communication, negotiation and relationship building skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to evoke the cooperation of people across a wide range of backgrounds;
- Strong time management, presentation skills and the ability to meet deadlines and prioritise tasks;
- Self-motivated with the ability to work independently and as part of a team;
- Previous use of or willingness to learn the use of line-marking equipment, ordering and maintenance;
- Preparedness to be flexible in respect to work hours.
- Current Driving License;
- Current QLD Paid Blue Card or ability to obtain one;
- Current Police Check (national police check) for employment;
- Rights to work in Australia.
What we offer
- Access to Employee Assistance Program and Professional Supervision;
- and more!
Submit your application online only addressing the selection criteria (no more than 2 pages) along with the cover letter and current resume by close of business Friday 24th May 2019.
***Applications will not be considered without the resume and response to selection criteria. Please merge your selection criteria and cover letter in a single document.***
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and strongly encourage people with disability, Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander people, mature aged workers and people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds to apply.