- Job Listing Date
- 15 May 2019
- Northern QLD
- Work Type
- Full Time
- Farming, Animals & Conservation, Fishing & Aquaculture
There's no other island quite like Daydream on Australia's Great Barrier Reef. It’s an exciting time to join the team. The resort is currently undergoing re-opening operations and this is a fantastic opportunity to join the Living Reef team. You’ll be joining a progressive company with the refurbished resort now open with 277 contemporary rooms and suites, 3 new restaurants and 3 bars plus Daydream Island’s iconic Living Reef returns to the island in an even bigger and better way, further cementing its eco-friendly and educational focus.
The island is one of the closest Whitsunday islands to the mainland (Airlie Beach) with a short ferry commute taking in the sea views.
About the role:
The Aquarist is responsible for carrying out animal husbandry, aquarium life support and maintenance duties ensuring a healthy environment for the marine life. The Living Reef Aquarist is also responsible for providing educational and memorable experiences for guests by Leading interactive tours.
Key responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Upkeep and maintenance of Aquarium life supports system
- Deliver a suite of formal, interpretive and interactive presentations and tours for the general public
- Daily monitoring of lagoon water quality and presentation
- Perform food preparation and daily feeds
- Scuba Diving, Cleaning windows and floor of Lagoon on scuba (4 metres)
- Monitor health of marine life and observe irregular animals or lagoon system changes
- Communicate with supervisors and managers regarding lagoon systems and animal health/behaviour
- Handling and moving heavy objects including live animals
- Coordinate daily volunteer programs for guests
- Daily cleaning and maintenance of the Living Reef lagoons, surrounding grounds and associated life support systems
The Ideal candidate will have:
- Science Degree: Marine Biology, Aquaculture or equivalent education, training and experience
- SCUBA Diver – Rescue or willingness to obtain
- Dive Master
- Current C class driver’s licence
- Marine animal handling experience
- Aquarium Life Support Systems experience
- First Aid / CPR / Oxygen Administration
- Confident public speaker with excellent customer service skills
- Boat Handling experience (Coxswains Unrestricted or restricted)
- ADAS Occupation SCUBA Part 1 or Aquarium Diver
- Live Specimen Collecting experience
- Blue Card (working with children’s check) or willingness to obtain
Why come and join us?
- Be part of an exciting Daydream island re-opening!
- An opportunity to demonstrate your skills in a progressive company
- Great team environment
- Subsidised Accommodation, Meals and Ferry transfers
This position is a full-time, live-on island role. We would like to have the successful candidate on board for immediate start. .
If you are looking for an opportunity where you are part of an exciting resort refurbishment and you have the experience and skills we are looking for, APPLY now with your current Resume and Cover letter outlining your suitability addressing the key criteria.
We thank all applicants for their time in applying however, please be aware that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Visit www.daydreamisland.com/careers to view current job vacancies
Daydream Island is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to ensuring diversity in the workplace. We actively encourage applicants from Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander heritage. All applicants are considered based upon their skills and experience with no regard to gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability, age, religion or race.
- Which of the following statements best describes your right to work in Australia?
- Do you have a current Australian driver's licence?
- How much notice are you required to give your current employer?
- What's your highest level of education?
- What's your expected annual base salary?