Renewable Generation Performance EngineerPrivate Advertiser
- Job Listing Date
- 27 May 2019
- Work Type
- Full Time
- Engineering, Other
CWP Renewables is driven by the belief that wind and solar power makes our world cleaner and healthier. From development to construction to operations, we create projects that benefit communities for decades. As an emerging leader in utility scale wind and solar generation, CWPR welcomes and supports a diverse group of innovative thinkers from all backgrounds. CWPR has corporate offices in Sydney and Asset Management headquarters in Canberra.
CWP Renewables is seeking a talented and highly motivated candidate with utility wind and solar experience to monitor and assess the daily operation of a growing portfolio of utility scale wind and solar plants. The Renewable Generation Performance Engineer acts as the main technical point of contact for the CWPR portfolio of generation facilities to perform operational analysis, troubleshooting, causal analysis, and performance improvement initiatives. In addition, this role will be responsible for supporting functions relating to both wind and solar generation facilities betterment, for plant and equipment performance measurements and improvement recommendations, and maintaining OEM supplier and service provider relationships as it relates to generation portfolio performance.
The Renewable Generation Performance Engineer will provide direct input to the Operations Engineer to create monthly, quarterly, or annual performance/production reports for internal and external use.
This is a critical position for the company that is currently in the process of adding generation assets to the portfolio.
Essential Job Functions
- Work with the site O&M teams to develop and achieve the optimum budgeted and actual performance
- Work with site staff to monitor and evaluate equipment and system performance by examining and trending the results of condition-monitoring systems, reviewing equipment failures, analyzing availability/reliability information. Follow-up actions, based on identified problems, trends, and root cause determinations, are timely and effective.
- Work together with turbine and solar providers, site and technical support teams to ensure CWPR consensus for solutions to site/fleet/equipment operating problems
- Improve wind and solar site performance by providing recommendations regarding availability, production and reliability issues/initiatives to CWPR site and senior level management.
- Lead standardization of operations and maintenance and engineering processes including reporting functions
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge in wind and solar areas including site performance evaluation, diagnostic and predictive analysis.
- Work with various internal and external groups including engineering and technical support personnel, site operating personnel and OEM global performance teams.
- Lead or Support the site (as appropriate) in developing (RCA’s) for wind turbine, inverter and panel faults and failures
- Provide recommendations for fleet wide OEM upgrades and develop implementation plans
- Manage wind turbine and solar equipment suppliers’ technical resources to ensure focus on priorities and achieve performance improvement targets by being CWPR’s technical point of contact.
- Support operational reviews, wind and solar site commissioning, end of warranty inspections and procurement to ensure proper equipment selection and operation
- Work with site teams and asset management to evaluate and develop site improvement projects. Provide support to site teams for economic justification, developing RFQ’s, evaluating bids, etc.
- Ability to travel for short term assignments as required.
- Act as a team member with all employees of the Wind & Solar sites and collaborate with members of the CWPR team at other sites across various businesses.
- Work multiple projects concurrently including supporting future business development projects.
- Comply with all CWPR policies and procedures.
- Carries out other duties as assigned.
- Direct reports: none
- Desired working knowledge of wind and solar power generation equipment, protection and isolation equipment, substations, static and dynamic reactive power equipment, electrical collection systems as well as SCADA control and HMI systems.
- Possess strong planning, scheduling and project management skills with the ability to plan and work independently.
- Possess strong computer and analytical skills; proficient working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Provides strong written and verbal communication and presentation skills.
- Performs other duties as directed by the Head of Asset Management and Operations Manager
- Work is to be performed primarily in an office environment with field visits as required
- Ability to work at heights and obtain wind turbine climbing and tower rescue certification
- Ability to work in HV electrical areas and confined spaces
- Valid Driver’s License
- Ability to obtain wind turbine climbing certification
- Ability to handle multiple assignments on a timely basis with a high degree of accuracy.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both written and verbally.
- Must have the ability to travel, work on-call during off-shift hours and weekends.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering required; Master’s in engineering or business preferred
- Minimum five (5) years of relevant experience.
- At least three (3) years of experience in power plant operations and troubleshooting of electrical equipment
- Familiarity with wind and solar power plant design
- Familiarity with wind turbine and solar plant O&M requirements and maintenance agreements
- Experience with operation of SCADA, DAS, and control systems.
- Experience in electrical maintenance, including DC systems, AC medium voltage systems, and network communications and monitoring.
- Working familiarity with wind and solar OEMs
- Experience or knowledge of power systems and protection coordination
- Ability to read and understand electrical single-line and three-line diagrams
- Understand protection and control relaying operation and settings
- Proficiency with MS Office suite
- Ability to take direction and complete tasks with minimal oversight
Senior Professional/Team leader
- Renewables & Environment
Salary is commensurate with skill, qualifications and experience level
Applications accepted via SEEK Only.
- Which of the following statements best describes your right to work in Australia?
- What's your expected annual base salary?
- Have you completed a qualification in engineering?
- How much notice are you required to give your current employer?