Senior Platform Engineer / Lead Systems Developer
Advertiser: Buildings AliveMore jobs from this company
- Job Listing Date
- 5 Jun 2019
- Sydney, CBD, Inner West & Eastern Suburbs
- Work Type
- Full Time
- Information & Communication Technology, Engineering - Software
About the business
At Buildings Alive, we provide automated daily feedback and technical analysis to optimise the energy and environmental performance of large, complex buildings. We work with leading property owners, operators and technical specialists across hundreds of office towers, shopping centres, academic buildings, laboratories and other complex facilities throughout Australia, Europe and the United States.
Visit our website to find out more: https://www.buildingsalive.com
About the role
We're seeking to grow our platforms team by adding several experienced software engineers / systems developers who will be involved in designing, implementing and supporting our customer-facing energy analytics applications as they evolve to meet market demand.
You'll be joining an established team of experienced technical staff in a platforms team, as part of a business that is privately-held, financially stable, and achieving significant growth.
You'll be spending your time helping us to explore, define and build our next generation energy analytics platform. As a senior member of the platforms team, you'll contribute significantly across design, develop and deliver activities.
Recruiters and applicants please note: we do not utilise the services of recruiters or consider applicants who are introduced to us via recruiters.
Benefits and perks
We offer a range of benefits including:
- tools of trade (laptop + mobile/mobile service)
- modern and convenient Sydney CBD office (located close to Town Hall or Museum and with end of trip facilities)
- flexible and remote working options
- quarterly team/social events and an annual team retreat
- annual performance and remuneration review
- career development and growth opportunities including an annual learning and development allowance
- employee share scheme.
Skills and experience
From a technical perspective, you'll likely:
- Have a degree in a relevant field (e.g. computer science, software engineering, information systems) or a combination of industry training and practical experience
- Bring 7+ years of years of industry experience in software and systems design and development, with some exposure to software/systems architecture and technical product management processes
- Be comfortable in a technology environment which features:
- Backend/integration: Python (essential), Java J2SE (desirable), Unix shell (desirable)
- Front end: JS frameworks like
- Data layers: Derby, MongoDB and serverless data layers
- Dev/collab tools: Linux, Jetbrains tools, Git, Jira, Jenkins and Slack
- Hosting: Cloud-based Ubuntu Linux, Apache/Tomcat/Nginx, and be generally familiar with internetworking technologies such as DNS, HTTP/S etc.
- Have designed, built and supported API-based integrations to both internal and external services
- Have demonstrable hands on experience with AWS platforms and applications, with a bias towards design and development of apps which leverage higher level AWS layers such as analytics, integration and storage
- Understand modern "stack based" cloud solutions architecture and development processes, leveraging and integrating off the shelf components as far possible before writing code.
Any previous exposure to or experience working with the following is advantageous:
- Electricity, water, gas or climate interval data and standards
- IoT solutions (distributed / edge data capture and analysis)
- Statistical machine learning technologies, particularly with Python.
At a personal level you will:
- Appreciate our company culture and values – see https://www.buildingsalive.com/about/work-with-us/
- Be an excellent written/spoken communicator, with strong interpersonal skills, including when working with remote collaborators and with team members outside of ICT
- Bring a passion for designing, building and maintain secure, scalable, reliable and high performing solutions
- Demonstrate a high level of autonomy and technical responsibility but be willing to collaborate within and across teams
- Balance your advocacy for new ideas, approaches and technologies with pragmatism regarding technology maturity, resilience, sustainability and support.
- Which of the following statements best describes your right to work in Australia?