Advertiser: Creature Technology CompanyMore jobs from this company
- Job Listing Date
- 26 Jul 2019
- Melbourne, CBD & Inner Suburbs
- Work Type
- Engineering, Mechanical Engineering
Founded in Melbourne, Australia in 2006, an exceptionally talented team of designers, engineers, technicians and artisans set a new benchmark for animatronics with each new project. Combining state-of-the-art technology with artistic mastery, Creature Technology Co.’s expertise ensures live experiences inspire wonder and awe in audiences worldwide.
Previous creations include the jaw-dropping dinosaurs for Walking with Dinosaurs –The Arena Spectacular; the three remarkable mascots for the 2014 Olympic Winter Games Opening and Closing Ceremonies; and the incredible King Kong puppet for the award-winning Broadway musical.
Creature Technology Co. is a unique company that is manufacturer, software design firm, puppet-maker, engineering company, artist’s studio and entertainment creator all rolled into one. The successful candidate will work in a stimulating and dynamic environment making the world’s best large-scale animatronic creatures in our Port Melbourne headquarters for export to an expanding global market.
The Design Engineer is responsible for timely, efficient and high-quality design work in the Engineering Department on Creature Technology Company (CTC) projects.
Core Duties are:
- Undertake professional mechanical engineering design on animatronic creatures
- Use mechanical engineering expertise to innovate and problem solve – working both independently and as part of the overall Creature Technology team
- Follow design through into workshop fabrication and liaise with tradespeople and practitioners to ensure best project outcomes
- Prepare and maintain documentation and technical reports including specifications, diagrams, drawings and manuals
- Supervision of subcontractors and review of subcontractor deliverables.
KEY SELECTION CRITERIA
- Approx. 5 years mechanical engineering experience in the design of articulated machinery – with involvement in engineering design projects from concept through to completion desirable
- Knowledge of methods for the design of safe systems using hazard analysis techniques (e.g. Energy and Toxicity analysis, FMEA, etc.)
- Excellent knowledge of a variety of different materials and fabrication techniques, particularly welding and machining processes
- Strong professional engineering design expertise with involvement from concept through to completion desirable
- High level skills with the CAD design program SolidWorks or relevant software application, with knowledge of structural analysis software preferred.
- Strong attention to detail and commitment to quality
- Excellent organisational skills and work ethic.
The successful applicant will be able to work well within a team, collaborating and consulting with subject matter experts and possess a particular ability to turn creative concepts into real world engineering outcomes.
- Tertiary qualification in relevant discipline (e.g. Mechanical, Mechatronics)
- The position reports to the Chief Engineer
- The position is based at Creature Technology Co. at 461 Plummer Street, Port Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
- The Design Engineer is expected to work our standard workshop hours of 7.30am – 4.00pm unless otherwise agreed.
If this opportunity sounds of interest, please submit your resume and a cover letter that clearly addresses the key selection criteria by COB 23rd August 2019.
- Which of the following statements best describes your right to work in Australia?
- How many years' experience do you have as a design engineer?
- Which of the following CAD software do you have experience with?