Software Development Manager
Advertiser: MGM Wireless Holdings Pty LtdMore jobs from this company
- Job Listing Date
- 6 Aug 2019
- Work Type
- Full Time
- Information & Communication Technology, Management
MGM Wireless Limited is a publicly listed (ASX:MWR) technology company designing, developing and commercialising wearable mobile phone devices for children, and software for school communication and student absence management. Operating for over 18 years, the Company has developed a wearable device called SPACETALK, which allows two-way 3G mobile phone communication, GPS tracking and alerts parents whenever children leave designated safe spaces, such as school or the home.
MGM Wireless built its track record with school communication solutions after creating the world’s first SMS based Automated Student Absence Notification Solution. It is recognised as a global leader and pioneer in socially responsible and technology-enabled school communications.
MGM Wireless products include student absence notifications ‘messageyou’, absence analytics software ‘Watchlists’, school news and messaging app ‘School Star’, a content management and messaging platform for mobile school communication called Outreach+, and student attendance management solution ‘RollMarker’.
Used by over 1,400 schools and 1.6 million parents, the Company’s multichannel school communication solutions empower schools to effectively communicate to parents and caregivers through SMS, mobile in-app and other means to improve student attendance and safety, help schools reduce operating costs and increase parent engagement. To learn more please visit: www.mgmwireless.com and www.allmytribe.com
Lead a team of 6 Software Engineers to deliver new products and upgrades to existing products whilst maintaining high morale, managing the day to day activities in an efficient and professional manner and ensuring all team targets are met as advised by management.
You will be transforming high level product design and new feature requests as provided by two Directors of Marketing ((i) School Communications; and (ii) Wearables) into a detailed product specification, architecture, UX and UI design and project plan.
You will then lead your team to deliver the products on time and to a very high quality and standard.
The company has large and active been developing IoT and wearable applications for the past 3 years and is on the process of further expanding its product range into this area.
AI and Machine Learning
Furthermore, and critically, the company is rapidly expanding into AI and Machine Learning technologies by both incorporating AI and Machine Learning into current products and building new AI school communication and wearable products from ground up.
Whilst no prior significant AI / Machine Learning experience or expertise is required, a strong wiliness to learn and rapidly become an expert in these technologies is essential.
Technical Lead Aspects of the Role
- Ensure that all software developed within the team satisfies the business requirements as specified.
- Ensure that projects are accurately estimated and delivered to schedule.
- Show flexibility to respond to the changing needs of the business.
- Actively contribute to the process of continual improvement, with regard to self, team and systems.
- Perform 3rd line support as required.
- Oversee the technologies, tools and techniques used within the team.
- Work closely with the business and Engineers on issues related to design and requirements.
- Ensure that development standards, policies and procedures are adhered to.
- Drive change to implement efficient and effective strategies as advised by management.
- Develop and implement IT standards and procedures to aid in the development of high-quality software. Ensure that all Engineers within the team understand and follow existing IT standards.
- Work closely with other team leaders and development teams when necessary to create software that is cohesive.
- Work closely with peers in the business to fully understand the business process and requirements.
- Gain enough business knowledge to be able to actively participate in specifying software solutions for business needs.
Line Manager Aspects of the Role
- Lead a team of software Engineers in the creation of high-quality software within agreed project deadlines.
- Assume a high level of ownership of all work developed by members of the team.
- Train and integrate new team members and proactively support the continued development of existing team members.
- Build and promote a positive working environment for the team within your areas as well as other business areas you will engage with.
- Effectively manage team members in line with company policy and procedures, including performance, development, disciplinary and conflict resolution with effective feedback.
- Proactively report and manage upwards to management and the business, so that they are well informed of the work currently in development.
- Implement team goals and objectives.
- Supervise, train and guide team members.
- Inspire and motivate team members.
- Be knowledgeable about each member of your team, their strengths, weaknesses and effectiveness, whilst translating each of their behaviours into clear tasks and objectives to improve their individual performance.
- Work with the wider team to support further initiatives including Recruitment of new employees into yours and other teams.
- Be a champion for your area within the IT and business organisations.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- Proven experience of leading a team of software Engineers including performance, development and disciplinary issues.
- Bachelor or higher degree or equivalent in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Information Technology or similar technical degree.
- Project Management Qualifications and/or Training.
- Demonstrable Java programming ability with in-depth understanding of underpinning techniques.
- Proven ability of tackling challenging projects.
- Experience in full software development lifecycle from design to deployment.
- A proven track record of developing high quality software to business specification whilst understanding processes and requirements.
- Experience using SCRUM or other Agile methodologies.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Experience recruiting staff and building development teams.
- Ability to have a positive impact on others and communicate openly and directly to individuals or groups at all levels.
- Ability to motivate others to achieve goals and generate confidence whilst respecting and supporting colleagues and team members to reach their full potential.
- Ability to exert influence upwards by developing and maintaining relationships at executive level.
- Ability to identify current and future talent to contribute to business success.
- Displays technical leadership and encourage it within others.
- Ability to manage time effectively and direct others towards the same standards.
- Ability to translate strategic objectives into everyday activity and guide and motivate others to do the same.
- Comfortable with highly numeric applications.
- Demonstrates intellectual rigour, possesses relevant abilities and can pick up new skills quickly.
- Able to solve complex problems, participates in continuous improvement, adapts the ideas of others.
- Demonstrates a proactive approach, getting things done, demonstrates accountability & ownership, prioritises own workload.
- Ability to apply learned skills, awareness beyond immediate area/role.
- Able to work well under pressure, flexible, positive & focused during times of change.
- Strong verbal and written communication in English. Good interaction with internal clients.
- Work well with others and actively contributes towards team objectives.
Languages, Frameworks, Platforms and Environments Used:
- iOS Development (Objective-C + Swift)
- Android Development (Java)
- ASP.NET MVC 5
- ASP.NET Web API 2
- Entity Framework 6
- Angular 2/4/5
UX and UI
A strong understanding and demonstrable expert skills in UI /UX design and implementation is essential.
- Which of the following statements best describes your right to work in Australia?
- Have you worked in a role where you had team and or line management responsibility?
- How many years' experience do you have as a development manager?