Advertiser: Creature Technology CompanyMore jobs from this company
- Job Listing Date
- 12 Aug 2019
- Melbourne, CBD & Inner Suburbs
- Work Type
- Engineering, Electrical/Electronic Engineering
Founded in Melbourne, Australia in 2006, an exceptionally talented team of designers, engineers, technicians and artisans set a new benchmark for animatronics with each new project. Combining state-of-the-art technology with artistic mastery, Creature Technology Co.’s expertise ensures live experiences inspire wonder and awe in audiences worldwide.
Previous creations include the jaw-dropping dinosaurs for Walking with Dinosaurs –The Arena Spectacular; the three remarkable mascots for the 2014 Olympic Winter Games Opening and Closing Ceremonies; and the incredible King Kong puppet for the award-winning Broadway musical.
Creature Technology Co. is a unique company that is manufacturer, software design firm, puppet-maker, engineering company, artist’s studio and entertainment creator all rolled into one. The successful candidate will work in a stimulating and dynamic environment making the world’s best large-scale animatronic creatures in our Port Melbourne headquarters for export to an expanding global market.
The Electrical Engineer is responsible for timely, efficient and high-quality electrical engineering for Creature Technology Co. projects.
The Electrical Engineer is involved in all aspects of the Controls department’s work; from clearly documenting the system design, through the manufacture & installation of the equipment cabinets, and their commissioning & testing.
Core Duties are:
- Undertake professional electrical engineering design, including electrical component selection and evaluation through all stages of design, fabrication, testing and installation.
- Use highly developed electrical engineering expertise and control theory to innovate and problem solve – working both independently and as part of the overall Creature Technology team.
- Maintain and evolve skills and knowledge of engineering software programs, noting EPLAN Electric P8 is Creature Technology’s current primary CAE electrical design platform.
- Take projects from concept through design and manufacturing and liaise with tradespeople and practitioners to ensure best project outcomes.
- Supervision, authorship and maintenance of QA procedures where required.
- Prepare and maintain documentation and technical reports including specifications, diagrams, operator manuals and procedures and manage all relevant files (drawings and documents) in a manner that ensures both their security and authorised access
- Other duties within the scope of the role as required.
KEY SELECTION CRITERIA
- Demonstrated electrical engineering expertise in the production of controls & power distribution systems for machinery, with involvement in the electrical design from concept through to completion. (approx. 5 years of experience required)
- Able to work well within a team, collaborating and consulting with subject matter experts.
- Knowledge of methods for the design of safe systems using hazard analysis techniques (e.g. FMEA, HRA etc.).
- Advanced skills in relevant software applications, notably CAE design programs EPLAN Electric P8 and SolidWorks 3D, as well as the Microsoft Office suite.
- Working knowledge of PLC control systems would be an advantage.
- Experience with designing to international standards (eg. UL, GB etc) would be considered favorably.
- Strong communication skills including the ability to elicit requirements from clients and colleagues and interpret the implications from a ‘real world’ perspective.
- Strong attention to detail and commitment to quality.
- Tertiary qualification in Electrical Engineering, with significant experience automating machinery with electronics (such as factory machinery, assembly robots, etc.)
- The Electrical Engineer will report to the Head of the Controls Department, while being directed by the Senior Systems Engineer on a day to day basis.
- The position is based at The Creature Technology Company at 461 Plummer Street, Port Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
- The Electrical Engineer is expected to work our standard workshop hours of 7.30am – 4.00pm, Monday through Friday with a degree of flexibility required
- A current Victorian Driver’s License and Australian Passport is required
- Creature Technology primarily works on international projects and the CSE can expect that some overseas travel will be a feature of the role.
Commencing initially on a 12 month fixed-term contract, this is a fantastic opportunity to be part of a professional and dynamic team creating world-class animated creatures in a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.
Please send your CV and a cover letter outlining your suitability for the role by COB 6th September 2019.
- Which of the following statements best describes your right to work in Australia?
- Have you completed a qualification in electrical engineering?
- How many years' experience do you have as an electrical engineer?
- How would you rate your English language skills?