Mechanical Engineer - Solar Field Products
Advertiser: Vast SolarMore jobs from this company
- Job Listing Date
- 11 Sept 2019
- Brisbane, CBD & Inner Suburbs
- $70,000 - $100,000
- Work Type
- Full Time
- Engineering, Mechanical Engineering
Vast Solar is seeking a motivated, capable Mechanical Engineer to join their world leading product development team, reporting to the Product Engineering Manager based in Brisbane.
Solar thermal power plants are complex industrial facilities with many aspects pushing the limits of practical mechanical design. Whether it is achieving the very low deflections needed in large, light weight heliostats, or long fatigue life for the receivers that transfer the solar heat flux into the heat transfer fluids, the design work encompasses a full range of mechanical structural and thermodynamic design theory while using design for manufacture skills to achieve very low installed costs.
You will have excellent communication skills, be highly self-motivated, and thrive on technically complex work. You will enjoy the challenge of learning new disciplines and contributing innovative ideas within our pro-diversity team, while completing design tasks and documentation at a high quality and to tight time frames. The role will work on several product streams associated with the solar field in CSP plants, including the heliostats, receivers, towers and ancillary equipment. The role will deliver manufactured products for specific CSP projects, as well as deliver product lines for commercial manufacture and sale.
The responsibilities of this role include:
- Be an active participant in a small team of mechanical and electrical engineers to deliver innovative designs focused on low cost, high quality and reliability
- Complete FEA analyses and physical tests to check and certify designs
- Contribute to specialist technical subcontractors for the solar field
- Assist the selection of and technical relationship management for manufacturers, to optimise cost and ensure acceptably low level of technical risk in manufactured products
- Update timelines and project management documentation for all design and manufacturing processes
To succeed in this role, you will need to possess the following as minimal and essential requirements:
- A Bachelor of Engineering (BSC), Mechanical or Industrial Engineering.
- At least two years’ experience in a commercial design/product delivery environment.
- CAD modelling and FEA structural analysis experience.
Experience in the following are not essential but will be well regarded:
- Design and production for high quantity production lines.
- CSP solar field design manufacture and installation.
- Delivering quality manufacturing from independent plants in low cost manufacturing countries.
- Specialist non-linear FEA experience and knowledge.
- At least five years’ experience with a combination of commercial design/product delivery and R&D experience.
To apply for this exciting position please include your CV and a detailed application letter that that tells us why you are the right candidate for the job by addressing the points listed above as well as the following important points:
- Give examples of occasions where you have reduced the cost of a design or product
- Give examples of occasions where you have integrated technically complex theory into commercial products
This is a unique opportunity to work with a leading Australian technology company that is commercialising new generation concentrated solar thermal power (CSP) technology.
Vast Solar is committed to diversity. We have a collegiate team culture and look forward to bringing the right person on board, offering a competitive salary, inclusive of PAYG and superannuation, of $70 000 - $100 000 commensurate with skills and experience.
- Which of the following statements best describes your right to work in Australia?
- How many years' experience do you have as a mechanical engineer?
- What's your expected annual base salary?
- Are you willing to relocate for this role?
- How many years' experience do you have as a design engineer?