- Job Listing Date
- 10 Oct 2019
- Cairns & Far North
- Work Type
- Community Services & Development, Child Welfare, Youth & Family Services
About Autism Queensland
Autism Queensland provides specialised education, therapy and support services for people of all ages on the autism spectrum and their families. For further information please visit www.autismqld.com.au.
About the Role
Do you have a passion for working with families of young children with special needs? If so, this may be the role for you!
As an Autism Advisor, you will provide information and co-ordinate services and supports for families and carers of children on the autism spectrum. You will also assist families and carers to understand the nature and implications of their child's diagnosis and assist them to find services and supports to meet the unique needs of their child and family.
This role is offered on a fixed-term basis to start ASAP until 30 June 2020, with the possibility of extension thereafter. Full-time hours are preferred although part-time hours will be considered for the right candidate.
To access the position description, please visit the Work With Us page on our website - https://autismqld.com.au/page/workwithus
Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide information and advice to parents and carers about autism, diagnosis, early intervention, and other supports and services through individual telephone and face-to-face consultations
- Develop and facilitate small group sessions for parents/carers of young children on the autism spectrum
- Provide information and assistance for children and their parents/carers to access NDIS and Helping Children with Autism (HCWA)
- Research and identify providers and other relevant stakeholders to enable parent/carer and child connection and build strong working relationships
- Maintain records, prepare reports and monitor outcomes for all activities
Skills & Experience
- Tertiary qualifications relevant to the fields of disability, education, therapy or human services
- Understanding of child development and autism, and knowledge of current evidence-based practices
- Demonstrated experience working with parents and carers
- Proven high level communication skills with the ability to build effective community networks and relationships
- Proven time management and organisational skills with the ability to maintain work quality and performance within time constraints
- Demonstrated understanding of disability and early intervention supports within the HCWA and NDIS environments
- Ability to work autonomously, including research and program development
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use of the MS Office suite and working knowledge of databases
- Demonstrated experience in maintaining accurate, professionally appropriate and current records and written reports.
- Retention of a current Driver’s Licence
- May be required to use own vehicle for work purposes when an AQ pool vehicle is not available
- Occasional intrastate travel
- It is the responsibility of the employee to hold and maintain at their own expense, a current Criminal History Screening Card/s or relevant Exemption Card
- Certificate of completion in NDIS Worker Orientation Module “Quality Safety and You”
Culture & Benefits
Autism Queensland is an inspiring, caring and fun place to work with supportive, passionate and friendly colleagues and leaders who value your contribution and share your commitment to achieving work-life balance! Your work will be both challenging and rewarding and you will find scope and support for personal as well as professional development. You'll also enjoy the financial benefits of our generous salary sacrificing program!
How To Apply
If this opportunity is of interest, please apply asap! Your application via SEEK should include:
1. a cover letter identifying the reasons for your application;
2. a current CV / resume with contact details of at least two referees (previous supervisors and who will only be contacted with your explicit consent following interview)
- Which of the following statements best describes your right to work in Australia?
- Do you have experience working with young people with complex needs?
- Do you own or have regular access to a car?
- What's your expected annual base salary?
- How much notice are you required to give your current employer?
- How many days per week are you seeking to work?