SENIOR WILDLIFE KEEPER
Advertiser: Great Oak Holdings Pty LtdMore jobs from this company
- Job Listing Date
- 5 Oct 2019
- Central & South East TAS
- Work Type
- Full Time
- Farming, Animals & Conservation, Conservation, Parks & Wildlife
About the business
The innovative Tasmanian Devil Unzoo is a global leader in changing the way the world looks at zoos.
The mission is to embrace wild mammals and birds and native flora that live in the Unzoo habitats and to move away from captive animals in cages.
Specifically at the Unzoo visitors "learn about wild animals, plants and ecosystems through immersion in natural habitats" whereas a zoo displays 'live animals from different parts of the world kept in cages or enclosures for people to come and see."
Tasmanian Devil Unzoo was established more than 40 years ago as the world's first Tasmanian devil centre, It is situated about an hour from Hobart on Tasman Peninsula in Tasmania's South East.
In recent years it has been developed under a ground breaking Unzoo master plan by renowned designer Jon Coe – visit joncoedesign.com - which embraces the surrounding natural world as well as the wild creatures that live there.
This includes a native botanic garden, wild Devil Tracker tours, bird walks and nature photography. There is no boundary fence so the local wild animals can come and go as they wish.
The Unzoo is the major partner in the Peninsula Devil Conservation Project which aims to preserve the last secure natural population of devils on Tasman and Forestier Peninsulas.
The Unzoo's Save the Devil effort includes daily monitoring of devils with remote cameras and raising funds for electronic roadside alarms to reduce roadkill.
More information can be found at www.tasmaniannaturecompany.com.au.
About the role
We are seeking a positive and motivated team member to take the role of Senior Keeper, which involves:
* leading and maintaining wildlife operations,
* developing new ways to showcase native fauna and flora; and
* working to help save endangered Tasmanian devils in the wild.
You will require:
- A zoology / botany degree, diploma or similar
- Captive Animal Management certification preferred
- A dependable record as an experienced nature wildlife keeper
- The ability to provide high quality animal care
- The ability to understand business requirements and take a senior role within our small team
- A sound understanding of customer service.
Your duties will be based around the Unzoo mission to care for Tasmania's unique wildlife and embrace the local wild birds, marsupials and extensive native flora.
Leading regular visitor presentations is a required task of this position.
You will take a senior role in wildlife care, food preparation, record keeping, cleaning and monitoring wild Tasmanian devils plus some ground maintenance (working with mowers and trimmers) and ticket sales and customer service,
This is an outdoor role with the following primary duties
- Experience with wildlife management and health;
- Experience in working with mammals and free-flight birds for public presentations;
- Willingness to take responsibility to ensure animal activities run reliably;
- A good understanding of native fauna and flora;
- High standards of personal presentation;
- Willingness to comply with and manage workplace policies and standards;
- Fitness and ability to handle and carry loads up to 15 kg and to stand for long periods;
- Current first aid certificate
- Current driver's licence with 4WD driving experience;
- A public passenger vehicle licence is an advantage.
You will look forward to working in a small family business environment which requires commitment to delivering both excellent animal care and a first class visitor experience.
You will be working in conjunction with the Unzoo Supervisor and the business directors.
This is a full time position with over-award pay rates under the Amusements, Events and Recreation Award.
The Unzoo operates 7 days a week except Christmas Day therefore you must be willing and able to work on weekends and holidays on a rotating basis.
Tasmanian Devil Unzoo is a no-smoking and alcohol and drug-free work site.
We can assist with contacts to find accommodation in the local region which offers numerous attractions including the acclaimed new Three Capes Track, world class surfing, good fishing, numerous hotels or restaurants and the Port Arthur Historic Site.
Benefits and perks
You will be working in a passionate small team environment where we will welcome your input to grow the Unzoo concept and to develop new opportunities of showcasing Tasmania's unique fauna and flora.
The surrounding Tasman Peninsula is renowned for its spectacular coastal walking trails around the Three Capes of the Tasman National Park. The area is home to a newly discovered species of marsupial and numerous endemic plants.
There are numerous shops and restaurants in the area while the gateway town of Sorell provides extensive banking, retail and government services.
Skills and experience
You will require:
- A zoology / botany degree or similar an advantage
- Captive animal management certification preferred
- A dependable record in animal care as an experienced native animal keeper
- The ability to understand small business requirements and take a senior role within our small team
- A sound understanding of five star customer service.
- Which of the following statements best describes your right to work in Australia?
- Do you have a current Australian driver's licence?
- How much notice are you required to give your current employer?
- What's your expected annual base salary?
- Are you available to work outside your usual hours when required? (e.g. weekends, evenings, public holidays)