- Job Listing Date
- 18 Oct 2019
- Melbourne, CBD & Inner Suburbs
- Work Type
- Full Time
- Engineering, Mechanical Engineering
About Spruson & Ferguson
Spruson & Ferguson is one of the leading intellectual property (IP) service firms operating in the Asia-Pacific region. We have more than 130 years of experience providing a variety of services in the protection, commercialisation, enforcement and management of IP from our offices in Bangkok, Beijing, Brisbane, Hong Kong, Jakarta, Kuala Lumpur, Melbourne, Singapore and Sydney. Our multidisciplinary team of more than 400 people includes some of the most highly regarded IP professionals in the Asia-Pacific region. The team services a diverse client base of Fortune Global 500 companies, SMEs, public sector research organisations, foreign associates and local clients.
About the role
An opportunity is available for a degree qualified mechanical engineer or related engineering technologies with a minimum of three years industry experience to join the firm. This role will be based in Melbourne and candidates approaching qualification as a patent attorney or already qualified as a patent attorney will also be considered.
The main responsibilities of this role, at the trainee stage, include:
- Using technical expertise to interpret and analyse patent specifications, drawings, standards, regulations, technical literature and related products and processes;
- Assisting in interviewing inventors and drafting technical descriptions of inventions and industrial designs;
- Performing searches of patents and industrial designs;
- Analysing searches and search results regarding inventions and designs, including examination reports issued by government patent and designs offices, and assisting in advising clients in relation thereto; and
- Preparing correspondence for submission to government patent and designs offices in the pursuit of patent and design protection for clients’ IP protection.
As a trainee patent attorney, you will be required to undertake studies in intellectual property (Master of Intellectual Property) towards gaining registration as a qualified patent attorney.
Skills and experience
To be considered for this opportunity candidates will have:
- A Bachelor's Degree or higher qualification in mechanical engineering or related engineering technologies;
- A minimum of three years industry experience;
- Strong analytical ability;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Drive and enthusiasm; and
- Excellent interpersonal and time management skills.
What we offer
We offer continuing professional development including providing financial assistance in the undertaking of studies in intellectual property to gain registration as a qualified patent attorney; the opportunity to work closely with highly experienced practitioners across various disciplines and challenging work with a substantial local and overseas client base. As experience and skills grow, as well as offering strong prospects for career and salary advancement, we offer a range of attractive staff incentive plans.
How to apply
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
To progress your professional career with one of Australia's leading intellectual property firms, forward your CV and a covering letter to email@example.com.
- Which of the following statements best describes your right to work in Australia?
- What's your expected annual base salary?
- Have you completed a qualification in mechanical engineering?
- How much notice are you required to give your current employer?
- Which of the following Microsoft Office products are you experienced with?