Mental Health Support Worker
Advertiser: Stepping Stone ClubhouseMore jobs from this company
- Job Listing Date
- 22 Oct 2019
- Brisbane, CBD & Inner Suburbs
- $63,074 plus Super
- Work Type
- Full Time
- Community Services & Development, Other
About the Organisation
Stepping Stone Clubhouse, established in 1994, is an incorporated, non-government, not-for-profit organisation, dedicated to assisting people with a mental illness.
The organisation is based on the Clubhouse International model (www.clubhouse-intl.org) and has been accredited by Clubhouse International since 1997. Stepping Stone Clubhouse abides by the International Standards for Clubhouse Programs.
Stepping Stone Clubhouse's mission is to assist adults with a mental illness to develop the skills and confidence necessary to live satisfying and productive lives in the community. This assistance is provided in a psychosocial program designed to empower and support its members.
Stepping Stone provides a non-institutional setting where adults with a mental illness work side by side with staff as they work to rebuild their confidence, stamina, concentration, social and vocational skills. It is a voluntary program whose participants are members, not patients or clients.
The organisation believes that every member has a contribution to make and that recovery is possible. Stepping Stone relies on members' talents, skills and strengths in order to function.
About the Opportunity
Stepping Stone Clubhouse Inc. is seeking a full time Mental Health Support Worker for an initial 6 month contract, based in Coorparoo.
The primary purpose of this role is to facilitate a pre-vocational unit to generate meaningful work and relationships with members.
Some of your key responsibilities will include:
- Promoting program development in accordance with the Clubhouse International philosophy as outlined in the International Standards;
- Facilitating the work of the unit in conjunction with the Director and your direct Supervisor;
- Work side by side with members to ensure that they are engaged and supported in the unit with the aim of increasing members' self esteem, concentration, stamina and social skills;
- Developing and maintain meaningful work opportunities in the unit for members;
- Work with members to assist them to identify their goals, and provide individual support such as employment, education, housing, advocacy, and assistance to access external services.
- Assisting in the outreach program providing phone, email, mail, home and hospital visits;
- Presenting to community groups regarding mental illness and the Clubhouse model; and
- Participating in education and colleague training.
Formal qualifications will be highly regarded but are not necessary in this role. More importantly, the organisation is keen to talk to candidates with demonstrated experience supporting people with a mental illness, either in a professional or personal capacity.
Suitable candidates will need to embrace the Clubhouse International model and possess a current C-Class Driver's License valid in Queensland. Well developed interpersonal skills, communication, and organisational skills will play a pivotal role in your day to day responsibilities.
Stepping Stone Clubhouse offers after hours social recreational opportunities to its members on specific weekdays and on the weekends. Time in Lieu (TIL) is available for those hours worked. There is a roster around these member opportunities. Please keep this in mind when making your application.
The successful candidates will be rewarded with a competitive starting salary of $63,074 per annum plus superannuation, with the opportunity to access generous salary sacrifice options.
Look forward to coming to work each day with a friendly and dynamic team within an international leading organisation that has strong support from the local community as well as the business community.
Stepping Stone Clubhouse is an equal employment opportunity organisation that embraces diversity within the workplace, encouraging candidates from an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander background as well as Culturally and Linguistically Diverse background to apply for the position.
The full position description can be found on our website www.steppingstoneclubhouse.org.au.
To express your interest in this role, please apply in writing through Seek by addressing the following questions and attaching your resume:
- Outline your previous experience working with people with a mental illness
- Why do you believe that you are suitable for this role?
- How would you support a Stepping Stone member in gaining and sustaining employment?
- Which of the following statements best describes your right to work in Australia?
- Do you have a current Australian driver's licence?
- What's your highest level of education?