Head of Horticulture
Advertiser: National Zoo & AquariumMore jobs from this company
- Job Listing Date
- 28 Oct 2019
- Work Type
- Full Time
- Trades & Services, Gardening & Landscaping
The National Zoo and Aquarium in Canberra is one of the most highly regarded tourist attractions and educational facilities in the heart of the nation's capital. Its open range facility creates a unique world where adults and children alike can reconnect with nature and have the experience of a lifetime.
The addition of Jamala Wildlife Lodge in the zoo grounds received worldwide attention and reviews, consistently enabling it to rate amongst the top animal lodges in the world. The zoo and lodge are now looking for an experienced and dedicated person to head their horticultural team.
Candidates for this position must be motivated to achieve institutional and team objectives and will be jointly responsible for the ongoing care and development of the entire gardens, lawns and zoological enclosures within the facility.
Applicants must possess a strong background, with a variety of horticultural skills, including:
- specialising in botanical and installation aspects and be a qualified and experienced horticulturist with a minimum of Cert III in Horticulture.
- A strong knowledge of plant establishment and care in Canberra is essential, along with an extensive background in the establishment, upgrading and upkeep of significant lawn areas.
- have experience in and be efficient with short and long term planning, as well as being capable of overseeing and managing the establishment and maintenance of vegetation in 20 hectares of gardens, lawns and zoo grounds.
- have the ability to work well in a team – they will be responsible for the output and direction of four staff dedicated to horticulture.
- be able and willing to spend a significant percentage of their time working in the grounds with their staff.
- have certificates to operate relevant machinery, preferably including chainsaw, bobcat, excavator and elevated work platform. The ability to ensure that a range of machinery is adequately maintained and serviced is necessary.
The zoo is continuing to expand and to upgrade existing areas. If you would like to explore the option of joining a team of people that are dedicated to further developing one of the countries unique facilities, then send your application as below. Salary is negotiable.
Applications to: Paul Whitehorn firstname.lastname@example.org
- How much notice are you required to give your current employer?
- What's your expected annual base salary?