Advertiser: Photon Energy Engineering Australia Pty LtdMore jobs from this company
- Job Listing Date
- 8 Nov 2019
- Sydney, CBD, Inner West & Eastern Suburbs
- Work Type
- Full Time
- Engineering, Process Engineering
Photon Energy is a renewable electricity generator, system integrator, builder and operator of energy storage and solar power plants in Europe and Australia. Our Australian team develops, designs, engineers and manages projects for commercial, Industrial and utility scale power generation equipment and provide EPC and O&M services to third parties. The company also recently works on hybrid renewable projects including water and soil remediation.
Photon Energy is looking for a Process Engineer (O&M) to join our Projects and Service Team. This role will be in Sydney office, with regular travel to sites in Australia and Europe.
As Process Engineer you will be responsible for:
- Organising processes and coordinating the engineering and technical operations of the O&M Department.
- Communicate with the Prague, Czech republic based monitoring team to support PECOM, Photon Energy's in house developed SCADA system.
- Commissioning and user access to monitoring platforms: Assisting project managers and site technicians with commissioning of monitoring systems for new PV plants. Including setting up project parameters in PECOM, inverter configuration and third-party software such as SMA Sunny Portal. Capturing all details required for successful monitoring and service, such as login details, IP addresses, site contacts etc. Setting up and configuring user interfaces for projects and handling user access for internal and external stakeholders.
- Contracts, SLAs, budget advice: Advising the sales team in structuring new service contracts, setting expectations of service levels in terms of technical detail, response times and cost.
- Documenting service activities and tracking cost: Developing and maintaining records to capture service activities and hardware/labour costs.
- Service partner management: Managing the network of service partners, keeping a record of rates and contacts and ensuring compliance with client/standards requirements. Approving new service partners and advise where to expand the service network
- Service coordination: Engaging service providers for scheduled preventive maintenance service and call-outs. Coordinating site access with property managers and clients.
- Remote assistance: Providing remote assistance to service partners and Photon technicians to guide troubleshooting efforts. Interpreting single line diagrams and site layouts to understand site specific configurations. Studying technical documentation for installed components in order to assist with fault-finding.
- Monitoring PV plant performance: Supervising daily monitoring of PV plant performance to ensure all components are in working order, communication and data logging is working as expected and maximum production is achieved. Implementing monitoring procedures with the service engineer/technician to ensure pre-detection of issues.
- Developing monitoring capabilities of the team: structuring the monitoring interface to highlight performance issues and simplify fault-finding efforts. Developing tools to identify abnormal performance, degradation and suggest rectification measures. Writing procedure manuals for improved use of the platform PECOM.
- Reporting: Reporting of production figures and service events including cost incurred for the client, monthly or bi-annually, according to the agreed intervals in the service contracts.
- Troubleshooting and creating service tickets: Troubleshooting issues related to the operation of the PV plant, including full or partial loss of production, poor performance, communication outage, loss of communication and/or data logging for monitored components. Troubleshooting issues by analysing available data and drawing conclusions based on schematic diagrams, site layouts and component datasheets. Creating service tickets to engage service partners or Photon technician and arranging site visits for fault rectification.
- Assisting design of PV solar projects from 100 kW to several MW across multiple sites in Australia and Europe, relevant to local standards and guidelines
- Design of sites plans, SLDs and monitoring schematic according to relevant standards and project specific requirements
- Implementing project management plan to ensure projects to be completed on time and within budget
- Advising the business development team on budget for tenders
- Completing application for connection to the grid, structural assessments and local council requirements
- Managing client expectations and communication with all the relevant stakeholders
- Managing projects engineers and subcontractors during all the phases of the projects from design to commissioning and ensuring that relevant standards and guidelines are respected.
- Offering technical support and design input to ensure maximised efficiency using accurate energy model
- Contributing to research and development of innovative hybrid renewable projects
- Liaising with marketing and research manager regarding engineering aspects of new renewable projects including water and soil remediation and hybrid solar systems
- Find procurement relationships for ground water remediation project (drilling, laboratory analysis)
- Describing new technologies processes and advising on parameters and configuration choice for the technology
The ideal candidate will have:
- Master of Science in Engineering (Energy, Renewable Energy, Project Management)
- Education and experience in Process Engineering
- 1+ years of progressive project management experience in energy, infrastructure or utilities
- Thorough understanding of solar PV systems, electrical diagrams, communication/IT equipment.
- Thorough understanding and implementation of projects in accordance with contracts and familiarity with key contract packages such as Power Purchase Agreements, EPC, O&M etc.
- Experience in designing hybrid renewable technologies (energy production, water and soil treatment) including sizing study, lab experimentation, parameters definition, modelling studies.
- Experience working across multiple markets in Europe, and Australia
- Fluent in English
- Speak a second European language, Czech or French is ideal
- Willingness to travel 75% of the time
You will also need to be/have:
- Technically minded
- Motivated and driven
- Attention to details & analytical skills
- Great in collaborating with people & providing support
- Be an independent thinker, with an ability to identify procedural and technical issues and suggest workable solutions
- Able to maintain excellent internal and external working relationships, including those with clients, contractors, and suppliers
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills over both email and phone
Finally, Proficiency in using the following software packages:
- COMSOL Multiphysics
- Aspen/SuperPro Designer
- Office packages
Photon Energy provides a competitive performance based compensation package and constructive work environment conducive to the use of both proven techniques and innovation.