THEATRE TECHNICAL MANAGER
Advertiser: Major WA Concert and Event PromoterMore jobs from this company
- Job Listing Date
- 18 Nov 2019
- Perth, CBD, Inner & Western Suburbs
- Work Type
- Full Time
- Advertising, Arts & Media, Programming & Production
Reports to: Venue Manager
Supervises directly: Stage Managers and casual Technical Staff
This is a fantastic opportunity to join WA’s premier concert, promotions and event management company. The iconic Piccadilly Theatre will be opening in late 2020. A theatre for the people, The Piccadilly will be beautifully restored with a nod to its 1930s heritage but equipped with modern comforts. Mellen Events is excited to lead the team who will be breathing life back in to a grand old dame. We are now recruiting for a Theatre Technical Manager. This is a full-time role, commencing in the first quarter of 2020.
Reporting to the Venue Manager, the Technical Manager will develop, manage and implement The Piccadilly’s technical operations, providing technical expertise and support to all users, hirers and artistes performing at The Piccadilly and is responsible for the efficient, safe and economical use of resources and staff, within existing legislation.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for the technical requirements of the Front of House, Stage and Backstage areas of the venue, ensuring a safe operation for staff and visiting companies, artists, technicians and associated personnel at all times.
- To pre-manage and ensure the production of all shows by producing a Technical Schedule for each event and show in accordance with the event’s production specification, including the provision of staff, equipment, facilities and resources and to liaise with visiting companies, promoters, producers and hirers on providing relevant services.
- Ensure the successful presentation of all shows and events within the venue ensuring the highest possible standards are maintained for visiting companies and the customer.
- To provide line management to the technical team and lead on recruitment and training.
- Be pro-active in your approach to problem solving and have a ‘can-do’ attitude.
- A brand ambassador for The Piccadilly and act as a Duty manager as and when required
- Gain an understanding of the whole building and all its capabilities – in production: lighting, sound, video and cabling.
- To ensure that all bump-in, fit-ups and bump-out regulations are adhered to, Health & Safety check sheets are accurately completed and truck loading plans are adhered to.
- To plan and manage all aspects of the theatre’s technical operation within the theatre’s technical operations budget.
- To maintain and develop as appropriate Health & Safety, Risk Assessment and Fire logs.
- To provide technical support, guidance and supervision, including Stage Management, LX and Sound as required, to visiting touring companies.
- To liaise with the Front of House Manager on operational matters.
- To ensure that the theatre’s equipment is properly maintained in good working order, that equipment is regularly tested and that replacement equipment and stock is ordered as needed.
- Maximise revenue from the effective use of staff and services by way of recharges and service charges, ensuring the best possible practice at all times, including the accountability and regular review and monitoring of income and expenditure and liaison with third party users.
- Ensure clear communications of all venue business activities across all departments of the organisation.
- Engender an organisational value and appreciation of business and the need for high levels of customer service.
- Fulfil all legal requirements related to technical operations and ensure accurate reporting.
- Ensure compliance with OHS legislation, policies, procedures and work practices and participate in risk assessments as required.
- Represent the company at corporate and key industry events as and when appropriate.
- Ensure availability for regular evening and weekend work.
- Other duties as directed by the Venue Manager or Executive Directors.
- A comprehensive knowledge of, and experience in, technical theatre operations as well as good inter-personal and communication skills.
- Excellent business acumen and financial management.
- Excellent negotiation and communication skills together with high level strategic and analytical thinking.
- Demonstrated relationship management experience and highly developed interpersonal skills.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills including the ability to prepare proposals.
References and demonstrated prior experience is essential.
As a part of your application please advise us of your desired salary.
Applications for this position will close on 6 December 2019.
Only successful applicants will be contacted.
For further information or to apply for this position, please email firstname.lastname@example.org