Tour Guide/Customer Service Reception
Advertiser: Eromanga Natural History MuseumMore jobs from this company
- Job Listing Date
- 26 Nov 2019
- Western QLD
- Work Type
- Full Time
- Hospitality & Tourism, Tour Guides
About the business and the role
The Eromanga Natural History Museum is an educational and tourism destination committed to discovering, conserving and showcasing dinosaur, megafauna and other fossil and natural history from the Australian Outback. We are a not-for-profit organisation that connects with the public through experiences, education, original research and collections, and displays. The Eromanga Natural History Museum is one of the few outback attractions that can provide both an outstanding attraction, a variety of tours and 4-star equivalent accommodation, all located on the Eromanga Natural History Museum reserve located 3kms outside of Eromanga, South West Queensland.
Our team are passionate and dedicated, providing a high level of customer service and experiences. A key part of the role is enjoying communicating with the public and providing a fresh and vibrant tour through the museum's fossil preparation laboratories, collection room and exhibition space. In-house training is provided to all new employees to teach them the tour, how to use the POS and Reservations Manager software programs and other tasks associated with the role.
Eromanga is a small iconic, historic outback town with State School, pool, permanently manned police station, excellent community hall, park and historical museum, an original classic outback Hotel, Motel, Caravan Park and exciting emerging tourism industry. Eromanga is only 1-hour drive on sealed main roads from the regions major centre, Quilpie. Quilpie is serviced twice a week by commercial flights, with daily Qantaslink flights from Charleville (3 hrs drive away).
Job tasks and responsibilities
- Conduct guided tours
- Reception and museum shop duties
- Provide excellent customer service
- Cleaning workshop and reception
- Assist with Lodge Housekeeping
- Assist with ENHM and Lodge catering
- Assist with collecting social media content
- Support Museum operations
- Maintain a clean and safe workplace and abide by WHS policies and procedures
- Other tasks as directed
Skills and experience
- First aid and CPR certificate
- Blue Card registration for working with children
- Food Handling – Food Safety Level 1
Previous experience in customer service or as a tour guide is not essential, enthusiasm, interest and willingness to learn are more important. On the job training will be given. An ideal applicant may have experience in the following:
- Front-line customer service or interpretation experience for a tourist attraction, educational or not-for-profit organization
- Electronic point-of-sale and cash handling experience.
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Well-presented, friendly and polite
- Interested in public speaking, interpretation and education
- An understanding of what excellent customer service is and able to deliver it
- Organised and able to meet deadlines.
- Manual licence preferred
Job benefits and perks
"An Encouraging Workplace"
"When I heard that there was a position available at the Eromanga Natural History Museum I jumped at the chance, instantly thinking about a new adventure and the experience to work and live in Outback Queensland. Of all the different workplaces and jobs, I've worked at, the ENHM is right at the top of my list by far. The workplace is a fun and a professional place where you are a part of a team which constantly help build you up. While encouraging you to strive for your passions and dreams and it's a place where you get the chance to meet some amazing people from all around Australia."
You get to work at the newest Australian dinosaur museum, a museum that houses the bones of Australia's largest dinosaur, a new genus and species and also one of the top ten largest in the world!
Unique opportunity to gain experience in a range of roles in tourism, hospitality, museum work, palaeontology and natural history. Entry-level exposure to such a broad range of roles is particularly difficult to replicate in larger tourism or museum-related organisations.
ACCOMMODATION: Modern, spacious 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, furnished share house is available for ENHM employees in Eromanga. The house has a large fenced yard and garage/shed. Rental is $138 per week ($69 each for twin share). Full signal 3G Telstra mobile reception.
"I applied for the position of tour guide/receptionist at the Eromanga Natural History Museum because I had a deep interest and fascination in the prehistoric past. Robyn Mackenzie and ENHM helped me gain experience in the tourism industry and museum life. I was also provided with training in relation to fossil preparation in my spare time. I liked the professionalism the most when working at ENHM and found the experience of tour guiding at ENHM life-changing, inspirational and educational. I would recommend ENHM to people interested in Australia's fossil heritage, Tourism and Palaeontology."
- Which of the following statements best describes your right to work in Australia?
- How would you rate your English language skills?
- Do you have a current Australian driver's licence?
- Are you willing to relocate for this role?
- Do you own or have regular access to a car?