Advertiser: City of NewcastleMore jobs from this company
- Job Listing Date
- 1 Dec 2019
- Newcastle, Maitland & Hunter
- Work Type
- Full Time
- Advertising, Arts & Media, Other
Located 160km north of Sydney, Newcastle is New South Wales’ second largest city, and offers the perfect lifestyle and career environment.
Our City is thriving and rapidly transforming. In recent years Newcastle has experienced a significant increase in development activity, with the 2017-18 Financial Year seeing building approvals top $1.2 billion.
City of Newcastle (CN) is seeking a passionate Curator to position the Newcastle Museum as a significant attraction within the Hunter region and engage the local community through the development of innovative, high-quality exhibitions that service their needs and tell their stories.
Utilising your strong background in a museum/gallery setting, you will develop and deliver curatorial projects in an efficient, timely and cost-effective manner, and will be responsible for supporting volunteer researchers and community curators.
Additional responsibilities include providing an accurate and efficient collection-based information service, developing and coordinating complimentary and collaborative public relations and media communications activities, preparing, implementing and monitoring project budgets, plans and reports, as well as providing exceptional customer service to all relevant stakeholders.
At CN our people are valued and have access to a range of benefits that help balance life at work and at home. These include flexible working arrangements, professional development opportunities and health and wellbeing programs.
To be successful in this job you will have:
- Tertiary qualifications in History, Visual Arts, Archaeology, Museum Studies or Arts or the equivalent, as well as relevant experience.
- Solid experience in a museum / gallery in a relevant role including knowledge of standards in curatorial, registration, and conservation practices.
- Demonstrated experience in collection management, exhibition development, curatorial research and publishing.
- Demonstrated high level verbal and written communication skills with experience in the preparation of presentations and written material about
- history for the public and other stakeholders and the ability to contribute positively within a multi-disciplinary team.
- Demonstrated negotiation, interpersonal, time management skills and the ability to determine priorities and manage competing demands.
- Solid experience in the use of Microsoft Office and collection management database systems (KeEMU, Vernon etc).
- Demonstrated experience in volunteer and/or staff management.
- Solid knowledge of Australian history.
- Demonstrated capacity to implement a Workplace Health & Safety System within the work environment.
- Demonstrated media skills.
- Practical experience in the installation of collection displays and exhibitions.
- Class C Driver’s Licence.
Sound like the perfect job for you? Apply Now!
CN proudly promotes the principles of Equal Employment Opportunity and fosters a culture of diversity to represent the community of our Local Government Area.
All candidates will be assessed against the selection criteria outlined in the position description. Suitable candidates may be placed on an eligibility list for future identical positions for a period of 12 months.
You must have the right to live and work in Australia to apply for this job.
Application Closing Date: Sunday, 12 January 2020.
Remuneration: $81,620.43 + 9.5% Superannuation per annum for a 35-hour week.