Advertiser: The University of Newcastle Research AssociatesMore jobs from this company
- Job Listing Date
- 1 Dec 2019
- Newcastle, Maitland & Hunter
- Work Type
- Full Time
- Science & Technology, Laboratory & Technical Services
The University of Newcastle Research Associates (TUNRA) was established in 1969 as the commercial arm of the University of Newcastle (UON). With an emphasis on research consulting, the TUNRA Bulk Solids (TBS) unit has actively connected UON academics with industry, business and government for more than 40 years. TBS has long-standing connections and interfaces with the Centre for Bulk Solids and Particulate Technologies (CBSPT) within UON to drive research to resolve industry issues.
TBS are seeking an enthusiastic laboratory technician to join our growing team. This is an excellent opportunity to be part of a team at the forefront of bulk materials handling. You will be presented with opportunities to develop your skills and perform a range of testing for projects relating to Bulk Materials Handling, Computational Modelling, Engineering Design and Belt Conveying. The role is also responsible for capturing and communicating the results of testing and complying with all relevant work health and safety requirements relating to the operation of the bulk materials laboratory and work areas. This position will entail hands-on test work as well as extensive manual handling in the preparation and handling of bulk materials (for example, iron ore, coal and bauxite).
- Completion of HSC or an equivalent combination of relevant experience and/or education/training.
- High-level organisational skills with the ability to prioritise and meet competing deadlines.
- Exceptional attention to detail with strong planning and time management skills and the ability to multi-task.
- Ability to work autonomously and with minimal direction.
- Highly developed interpersonal skills including the ability to participate in a team environment, demonstrating clear communication and mutual respect.
- Knowledge of, and experience in adhering to workplace policies and procedures in the areas of work health safety, equity, diversity and promoting a respectful workplace culture.
- First Aid certificate.
- NSW forklift licence (Class LF).
- Dogman certificate
This position is a fixed term position for a period of 12 months with the possibility of extension beyond this being subject to position funding and performance.
The salary package will be discussed with the successful candidate based on experience.
All applications are treated with confidence. Please forward your address of the selection criteria along with your CV to Eric Brooker, Laboratory Manager, TUNRA Bulk Solids by Friday the 10th January 2020.