Senior policy officer
Advertiser: Foundation for Alcohol Research & EducationMore jobs from this company
- Job Listing Date
- 29 Jan 2020
- $75,000 - $84,999
- Work Type
- Full Time
- Community Services & Development, Community Development
The Foundation for Alcohol Research and Education (FARE) is an independent, not-for-profit organisation working to stop the harm caused by alcohol. Alcohol harm in Australia is significant. Nearly 6,000 lives are lost every year and more than 144,000 people are hospitalised making alcohol one of our nation’s greatest preventive health challenges.
For more than a decade, FARE has been working with communities, governments, health professionals and police across the country to stop alcohol harms by supporting world-leading research, raising public awareness and advocating for changes to alcohol policy. FARE is guided by the World Health Organization’s (2010) Global strategy to reduce the harmful use of alcohol for stopping alcohol harms through population-based strategies, problem directed policies, and direct interventions.
For more information about FARE, visit www.fare.org.au.
FARE is currently seeking a Senior Policy Officer to work in the policy team. The team is responsible for policy analysis and development, advocacy, research and research translation. This is an excellent opportunity for a self-motivated person who enjoys working in a fast-paced environment. Tertiary qualifications in health, social science or law would be an advantage.
Duties and responsibilities
- Undertake high quality research and analysis into current and emerging alcohol policy.
- Develop written materials including policy positions, reports, government submissions and correspondence.
- Maintain and develop strong working relationships with key stakeholders including government representatives and community organisations.
- Contribute to the development of advocacy strategies.
- Work with the communications team to identify media and communications messaging and opportunities on alcohol policies.
- Other duties as directed.
Candidates should be able to demonstrate the following range of capabilities:
- Experience in policy development in the areas of public health, alcohol and other drugs, regulatory affairs, consumer rights or other relevant areas.
- Excellent written communication skills, including the ability to write in a range of formats targeted at a variety of audiences.
- Excellent oral communication and interpersonal skills, including a demonstrated ability to work with a diverse range of internal and external stakeholders.
- Strong analytical and research skills including the ability to translate research findings into policy outcomes and to identify communications implications.
- Ability to work autonomously, manage and prioritise workload, and work to tight timelines.
The successful applicant will be able to access salary sacrificing options available to a health promotion charity. FARE is located in Deakin and offers a friendly, collaborative work environment.
Applicants will need to submit a cover letter of no more than 500 words indicating their suitability for the position, along with a CV.
Salary range from $75,000 - $85,000 (plus super) subject to skills and experience.
For more information, call Trish Hepworth on (02) 6122 8600.
Please submit your application by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the title ‘Senior Policy Officer’ by midnight on Friday 21 February 2019.