Advertiser: Aboriginal Legal Service NSW/ACT LimitedMore jobs from this company
- Job Listing Date
- 30 Jan 2020
- Sydney, Parramatta & Western Suburbs
- $60,643- $72,019 plus 10% superannuation
- Work Type
- Full Time
- Community Services & Development, Housing & Homelessness Services
The Aboriginal Legal Service NSW/ACT Limited (ALS) is a public company limited by guarantee and registered charity. It is primarily funded by the Australian Government Attorney-General's department and managed by an Aboriginal Board and governed by the ALS Company. The Company consists of thirty Aboriginal people from NSW and ACT and Company members are elected for three-year terms and represent their community.
The ALS is one of the largest Aboriginal legal practices delivering legal services to Aboriginal people in Australia. With over 200 staff, we provide information and referral, legal advice and court representation in criminal law, family law and care and protection law to Aboriginal men, women and children in 24 offices across urban, regional and remote NSW and ACT.
The Greater Sydney Aboriginal Tenancy Service (GSATS) is based in St Mary’s and its catchment area spans from Gosford to Helensburgh and west to the Blue Mountains.
- Provide advice, advocacy and community education support for Aboriginal tenants and clients;
- Identify the appropriate advice, advocacy and community education needs of Aboriginal tenants and clients;
- Develop and implement strategies which give all Aboriginal tenants access to the services provided in conjunction with the Tenancy services team;
- Liaise with regional networks, other tenants service in NSW and the Tenants Union to coordinate the delivery of Community Education services;
- Assist, support and represent tenants at NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal (NCAT) hearings.
Your Skills and Expertise
Do you have:
- Knowledge and appreciation of the cultural and social needs of Aboriginal people combined with continuing respect and support for Aboriginal cultural practices in dealing with clients, their families, communities and staff.
- Understanding and appreciation of the role and functions of the Aboriginal Tenant Advice and Advocacy Services together with a good understanding of the relevant legislation and policies.
- Understanding of the public, social and private sector rental housing issues and challenges affecting Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
- Knowledge of support and referral services available to Aboriginal clients, including those which are homeless or about to become homeless and those affected by family or domestic violence;
- Current valid unrestricted NSW Driver’s licence and a willingness to drive in metropolitan and country locations, travel intrastate and stay overnight or longer.
Job Benefits and Perks
- 10% superannuation
- 35 hour week
- RDO per month
- 20 days annual leave + loading
- Christmas leave paid
- 6 days Special leave
- Study leave
This is an identified position under Section 14 (d) of the Anti-Discrimination Act, 1977.
All enquiries and a copy of the application package please contact Mr Michael Higgins:
T: 02 9213 4100
Please note that incomplete applications will not be accepted. You must address each of the selection criteria noted in the application package.
The position offered to the employee is subject to the employee agreeing he/she may have to undergo:
- Criminal History Check
- Working With Children Check
Applications close midnight Friday, 14 February 2020
- Do you have a current Australian driver's licence?