Advertiser: Creature Technology CompanyMore jobs from this company
- Job Listing Date
- 14 Feb 2020
- Melbourne, CBD & Inner Suburbs
- $85k - $100k, dependent on applicable experience
- Work Type
- Engineering, Project Engineering
Founded in Melbourne, Australia in 2006, an exceptionally talented team of designers, engineers, technicians and artisans set a new benchmark for animatronics with each new project. Combining state-of-the-art technology with artistic mastery, Creature Technology Co.’s expertise ensures live experiences inspire wonder and awe in audiences worldwide.
Previous creations include the jaw-dropping dinosaurs for Walking with Dinosaurs –The Arena Spectacular; the three remarkable mascots for the 2014 Olympic Winter Games Opening and Closing Ceremonies; and the incredible King Kong puppet for the award-winning Broadway musical.
Creature Technology Co. is a unique company that is manufacturer, software design firm, puppet-maker, engineering company, artist’s studio and entertainment creator all rolled into one. The successful candidate will work in a stimulating and dynamic environment making the world’s best large-scale animatronic creatures in our Port Melbourne headquarters for export to an expanding global market.
At Creature Technology Company, our Project Engineer is responsible for timely, efficient and high-quality work in the Engineering Department on Creature Technology Co. (CTC) projects and oversee the delivery of complex large-scale animatronic figures for major international theme parks.
Core Duties are:
- Undertake professional engineering design and material selection through all stages of design, fabrication, testing and installation as required
- Use mechanical engineering expertise and control theory to innovate and problem solve – working as part of the overall Creature Technology team
- Under direction, take products from concept through design and manufacturing and liaise with tradespeople and practitioners to ensure best project outcomes
- Prepare and maintain documentation and technical reports including specifications, diagrams, operator manuals and procedures and manage all relevant files (drawings and documents)
- Supervision, authorship and maintenance of QA procedures where required.
- Comply with CTC’s policies and procedures and with relevant legislation and regulations.
- Other duties within the scope of the role as required.
KEY SELECTION CRITERIA
- Approx. 5-7 years mechanical engineering experience in the production of automating machinery – with involvement in engineering design projects from concept through to completion desirable
- ‘Whole of system’ design thinking would be considered highly advantageous
- Knowledge of controls theory and instrumentation design
- Knowledge of methods for the design of safe systems using hazard analysis techniques (e.g. Energy and Toxicity analysis, FMEA, etc.)
- Demonstrated skills in relevant software applications, notably CAD design program SolidWorks
- Excellent knowledge of a variety of different materials and fabrication techniques, particularly welding and machining processes
- Strong attention to detail and commitment to quality.
- Tertiary qualification in relevant discipline: Mechatronics preferred – or Mechanical Engineering with experience automating machinery with electronics (such as factory machinery, assembly robots, lifting equipment, etc.)
- The position reports to the Chief Engineer, or their delegate
- The position is based at Creature Technology Co. at 461 Plummer Street, Port Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
- The expectation is that the Project Engineer will typically work the hours of 7.30am – 4.00pm Monday through Friday, with a degree of flexibility required.
- Creature Technology primarily works on international projects and the Project Engineer can expect that some overseas travel may be a feature of the role.
If this opportunity sounds of interest, please submit your resume and a cover letter outlining your suitability for the role and addressing key selection criteria by COB Friday 13th March 2020.
- Which of the following statements best describes your right to work in Australia?
- How many years' experience do you have as a project engineer?
- Have you completed a qualification in engineering?
- What's your expected annual base salary?
- Which of the following CAD software do you have experience with?