Cloud Systems and Network Engineer
Advertiser: MicrobaMore jobs from this company
- Job Listing Date
- 13 Mar 2020
- Brisbane, CBD & Inner Suburbs
- $95,000 - $119,999
- Work Type
- Full Time
- Information & Communication Technology, Networks & Systems Administration
About the business
Microba is early stage Brisbane-based biotech company providing the world's most accurate gut microbiome testing service direct to the public. We are a diverse team of scientists, commercialisation experts, health practitioners, software developers, data analysts, marketers and legal experts with a common goal to improve lives through a deeper understanding of the gut microbiome. In 2018, Microba was awarded the Tech23 People's Choice Award and AusBiotech Emerging Company of the Year and in 2019 the Lord Mayors' Award for Innovation.
About the role
Microba is seeking a motivated Cloud Systems Engineer to join the dynamic and hard-working bioinformatics and development teams. We have developed an analytical platform that transform trillions of DNA sequences from biological samples into information about the communities of microorganisms living within people. The problems we tackle are challenging, fascinating, and at the forefront of science and information technology. Our genomic data volumes are high, often scaling out to thousands of cores, yet the results we produce are high resolution, focused down to individual species, genes and nucleotides. Our systems are entirely cloud-based.
Being a rapidly growing early-stage company, there is substantial scope for your input on our architecture and systems. We are a seeking a highly motivated, systematic individual with a positive approach to challenges. You will provide robust architectural solutions for our Google Cloud infrastructure, covering networks, systems integration, storage, IAM governance, virtual clusters and administration of our Linux VMs, including both ephemeral and non-ephemeral resources. You will take the lead within the group to optimise resource usage of our informatics data pipelines. You will be responsible for planning, testing and managing our disaster recovery systems. You will also have an interest in software development, and ideally, an interest in bioinformatics. You are passionate about and keen to take the lead in designing, implementing and maintaining our systems.
Benefits and perks
Microba offers a dynamic, cutting-edge work environment, and values innovation and initiative. The work we undertake is interesting, ethical and socially valuable.
Skills and experience
- Highly capable communicator and must be team player
- At least three years experience scoping, designing, and implementing complex systems and architecture specifications.
- Experience in Google Cloud Platform DevOps (security, user and role-based governance, networking, VPNs, project governance, storage)
- Three or more years experience in network engineering.
- Three or more years Linux system administration experience (especially Ubuntu) and knowledge of shared filesystems (e.g. NFS)
- Tooling (Gitlab, Gitlab CI/CD, Containerisation, Docker, NoSQL DBs)
- Development scripting skills (Bash and Python)
- Experience with distributed workload data processing and DAG workflow tools (e.g. Kubernetes, Argo, Pub/Sub) would be highly regarded
- Experience with logging and log analysis and visualisation tooling (e.g. Stackdriver, Graphana)
- Additional cloud DevOps skills (AWS, Azure)
- Efficiency/cost management cloud expertise
- Evaluate and implement complex system design and architecture specifications for Microba bioinformatics cloud environments
- Monitoring server and network infrastructure to ensure optimal performance
- Assessing and recommending improvements to network operations and integrated hardware, software, communications and operating systems
- Providing specialist skills in supporting and troubleshooting system problems and emergencies
- Monitoring network and system capacity and usage to ensure continued integrity and optimal performance of the HPC data production environment
- Support of devOps tasks and system integrations
- Other tasks and duties as required