Project Manager, Policy
Advertiser: Australian Academy of Technology and EngineeringMore jobs from this company
- Job Listing Date
- 23 Mar 2020
- Work Type
- Full Time
- Consulting & Strategy, Policy
About the business
The Australian Academy of Technology and Engineering (ATSE) is a Learned Academy operating as an independent, non-political and expert national think tank that helps Australians understand and use technology to solve complex problems.
We bring together Australia's experts in applied science, technology and engineering to provide impartial, practical and evidence-based advice on how to achieve sustainable solutions and advance prosperity.
About the role
The Project Manager, Policy reports to the Director, Policy and Government Relations as part of a small team. Working closely with the Senior Policy Analyst, the Project Manager, Policy will be responsible for developing, managing and delivering projects aimed at informing evidence-based decision making and science and technology road-mapping at the federal level.
The position requires strong experience managing competing deadlines, including managing simultaneous complex projects, and high level inter-personal skills. The successful candidate will have a strong understanding of how policy is made and implemented, be experienced in bringing together diverse stakeholders towards a common aim, and be collaborative but comfortable with a degree of autonomy. They will bring a creative, problem-solving energy to the role, and demonstrate an open, professional and inclusive approach to managing relationships.
KEY RESULTS AREAS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Project Manager, Policy will work as part of a small team to develop and deliver evidence-based policy projects and expert reports on strategic priority matters that will influence national debate and inform government, industry and the public.
To achieve this, the Project Manager, Policy will:
- Establish and maintain, in consultation with the Director, project management protocols, plans, timelines, risk management and resourcing
- Manage the successful planning and delivery of various complex policy projects, in line with defined project plans, budgets and timeframes
- Monitor and develop project opportunities, including tender opportunities, with reference to existing evidence, programs, and expertise, and identifying the impact, intended outcomes, and potential risks
- Build and maintain productive working relationships with project stakeholders, both internal and external
- Provide regular updates to the Director, Policy and Government Relations and to ATSE leadership as needed, including progress, risk mitigation and timelines
- Prepare and manage all project documentation, including for meetings and events
- Support the Director in developing and maintaining systems and procedures for the strategic co- ordination and implementation of policy activities
- Manage project budgets and reporting requirements professionally and to deadline
Skills and experience
KEY SELECTION CRITERIA
- A strong project management background with demonstrated success in planning and delivering successful projects, preferably in a policy environment
- Demonstrated exceptional organisational and problem solving skills, and ability to manage competing workload priorities
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, with demonstrated experience in establishing and maintaining productive working relationships across a diverse range of stakeholders
- Demonstrated understanding of policy creation and implementation
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a dynamic team, managing workloads and priorities to achieve organisational priorities
- Financial literacy and reporting
- Postgraduate qualifications in a field appropriate to the position
- Experience in or a passion for technology, engineering or science policy, research or industry
OTHER JOB RELATED INFORMATION
Interstate travel may be required from time to time Occasional out of office hours work may be required
To apply, please submit a cover letter and response to the above key selection criteria by close of business 9th of April 2020.
- Which of the following statements best describes your right to work in Australia?