Senior Legal Counsel
Advertiser: Warringtonfire Australia Pty LtdMore jobs from this company
- Job Listing Date
- 26 Mar 2020
- Work Type
- Full Time
- Legal, Corporate & Commercial Law
About the business
Warrigntonfire Australia has an opportunity for a new Senior Legal Counsel to join its legal team. The ideal candidate can be based in any of our office locations in Australia - given the current situation this is a working from home role that can be office based in the future.
Element is one of the world's leading providers of testing, inspection and certification services and operates out of 200 sites located in more than 30 countries. The successful applicant will support Element's Fire & Building Products sector which is headquartered in Warrington and operates from sites including in the UK, Australia, United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Belgium and Germany providing testing, consulting and certification services.
About the role
This is a rewarding and varied role with a very commercial focus supporting our Fire & Building Products sector, with key responsibilities including:
- Advising all areas of the business on a range of commercial contracts including subcontracts and sub-consultancy agreements on complex engineering and construction projects
- Dispute avoidance and management
- Assisting with contractual governance processes
- Reviewing and advising on industry legislation and policy
- Liaising with insurers and insurance brokers in relation to contractual terms, potential claims and claims
- Practical application of the law and contractual risk management in a variety of situations
- Giving training on legal topics including contract risk management
- Willingness and ability to travel throughout Australia and elsewhere on an occasion with notice
Skills and experience
- Qualified solicitor with extensive experience negotiating commercial contracts and strong knowledge of contract law
- Law degree
- As a guide, we would expect at least 5 years post qualification experience in a general commercial, construction or litigation role in-house or in private practice in a major law firm
- Construction / engineering contract and / or dispute resolution experience would be an advantage
- Excellent technical skills with good grasp of legal principles and ability to apply them to deliver concise and pragmatic legal and contractual advice
- Technical excellence in contract drafting, amendment and negotiation
- Able to work under own initiative as well as within a team
- Proficient in IT and have strong communication skills, both written and oral
- Strong organisational skills, proactive and methodical, with good project management skills
- Dependable, reliable and able to produce a consistently high quality / quantity of work
- Which of the following statements best describes your right to work in Australia?
- How many years' experience do you have as a legal counsel?
- What's your expected annual base salary?
- Have you completed a qualification in law?