Strategy Manager - Technology
Advertiser: Orica3.2108 out of 53.2 overall rating (166 employee reviews) More jobs from this company
- Job Listing Date
- 15 May 2020
- Melbourne, CBD & Inner Suburbs
- Work Type
- Full Time
- Consulting & Strategy, Strategy & Planning
We are Orica, the global leader in mining and civil blasting.
It's an exciting time for us. Our industry is being reimagined. Software, automation and big data are transforming every element of the mining value chain. We’re proud of the role we’re playing alongside our customers as they deliver this transformation, and we’re excited about the benefits it will deliver for us too. The products and solutions we are enhancing, developing and launching today are all part of this – a single platform that will bring drilling and blasting into the 21st century.
We invest in our people and innovation so we can remain at the forefront of our industry, so every person with a stake in Orica can prosper, grow and progress.
About the role
We are currently searching for a new Strategy Manager, to join our Technology Development team at Orica. Our Development team exists to support and drive critical corporate decisions and lead mergers, acquisitions and divestment opportunities. This exciting and rare opportunity will support the Head of Corporate Development in the development and ongoing refinement of Orica’s technology strategy, as well as the execution of this strategy, particularly as it relates to inorganic opportunities.
You will collaborate with our senior leaders to design and execute the deployment of Orica’s technology strategy across the organisation. This role will interact with the Executive Committee, CEO, Board of Directors and have regular interface with our regional business leaders and global technology and marketing teams. The role will also have a large outward-facing component, whereby you will be expected to engage with the industry to identify growth opportunities with potential partner organisations.
To be successful in this role, you will bring a background in corporate strategy from a top tier consulting firm, and have strong commercial acumen, numeracy capability and negotiation skills. This is a key role within the team where exceptional communication, organisational skills and the ability to perform in a demanding, fast paced environment will see you thrive. If you are entrepreneurial, innovative, committed and proactive in your approach, we want to hear from you.
What you will be doing
- Driving the continual refinement of Orica’s consolidated technology strategy by incorporating and synthesising the relevant information gathered from the technology industry, customers, and internally within the organisation
- Coordination, engagement and management of multiple internal stakeholders, including Orica’s Executive Committee, to develop and coordinate delivery of Orica’s annual consolidated technology strategy
- Support the Head of Corporate Development, Chief Development Officer, regional and functional presidents and vice-presidents to develop, socialise and launch workplans to deliver complex analysis that goes to the heart of the enterprise-level technology issues facing the organisation
- Engage with the mining technology industry to promote Orica’s strategy and explore potential ways to collaborate with the right partners
- As needed, lead acquisition workstreams, including complex negotiations and resolving difficult commercial issues
- Co-ordinate a high-calibre team of ex-management consultants and other co-opted resources to deliver results, including developing and maintaining a pipeline of new team members
- Model responsible corporate behaviours in line with Orica’s values both internally and externally
What you will bring
- Relevant tertiary qualification in business, economics, finance or equivalent (post-graduate highly regarded)
- Relevant tertiary qualification in engineering, science or equivalent also highly regarded
- Role ideally suited to individuals with 5+ years’ work experience, with at least 3 of these spent in a tier-1 consulting firm, with ideally some focus in digital and/or technology projects in a B2B context
- Experience in business growth and technology strategy development; assessing and managing M&A transactions also highly advantageous
- Experience in mining, oil and gas, infrastructure or other transferrable sectors highly desirable
- Ability to orchestrate, project manage, and drive complex strategy projects in support of the Global Executive team
What’s on offer?
- A key role with a company truly committed to being at the forefront of technology innovation;
- Real opportunities to grow in a diverse, inclusive and truly global business;
- A healthy salary package and continued rewards for your excellent contribution;
- A culture that values and welcomes big and new ideas;
- The potential for you to develop a flexible career path and access tailored training and competitive rewards;
- And finally, as part of our commitment to inclusion and diversity - paid family leave and flexible work to support you at different stages of your career.