Teacher Aide - Junior School
Advertiser: Somerville House3.9231 out of 53.9 overall rating (13 employee reviews) More jobs from this company
- Job Listing Date
- 20 May 2020
- Brisbane, CBD & Inner Suburbs
- Work Type
- Full Time
- Education & Training, Teaching Aides & Special Needs
About Somerville House
Somerville House, a day and boarding school for girls established in 1899, provides exceptional education for students from Pre-Prep through to Year 12. Somerville House students have the opportunity to participate in an extensive academic, sporting and cultural program, while receiving high standards in personal care and individual attention within the School community.
Somerville House is a school of the Presbyterian and Methodist Schools Association (PMSA). The PMSA is a mission of the Presbyterian and Uniting Churches.
Presbyterian and Methodist Schools Association 2017, as varied or replaced from time-to-time
Classification: School Officer Level 3
Permanent, full-time (38 hours per week), term-time only
Hours of duty: 8:00am to 4:30pm
The appointee may be required to work one week directly prior to the commencement of each new school academic year, and one week directly following the end of each school academic year.
This position aims to support the functioning of the Junior School. This position reports to the Head of Junior School.
The position is required to undertake the following responsibilities:
- Facilitating the administrative needs of classroom teachers, as authorised by the Head of Junior School
- Assisting the classroom teacher with preparation, photocopying and classroom resources
- Assisting students with their academic studies and personal care
- Supporting students with additional physical, sensory, social and learning needs
- Assisting with supervision of students during specialist lessons ie Music, Art, Health and Physical Education, as well as excursions, or other times as required
- Supervising students before and after school/during morning tea and lunch breaks
- Maintaining a healthy, safe and tidy classroom in consultation with the classroom teacher
- Other duties in areas of the Junior School as directed by the Head of Junior School.
The skills and qualities required in this position are:
- Must have minimum requirement of relevant Certificate qualification
- Blue card for working with children (or ability to apply for a Blue Card prior to commencement)
- Competence in the use of technology including Microsoft Office suite, including Microsoft Word, Publisher, Excel, Outlook, OneNote and PowerPoint
- Ability to use assistive technologies to enhance student learning, eg. Read and Write Gold, Office 365 Learning Tools
- Willingness to undertake training in new technology when required
- Preparedness to undertake professional learning (as per School priorities)
- Communicating effectively in person and via telephone
- High level of interpersonal skills to function as an effective team member
- Efficient and timely completion of designated tasks
- Excellence in filing, storage and record-keeping
- Ability to perform processes that require a range of well-developed skills, where some discretion and judgement is required
- Flexibility and adaptability
- Display confidentiality, tact, reliability and sensitivity to students and their families
- Excellent personal presentation
- Ability to work under pressure and meet tight timelines.
All applications must include the official Employment Application Form for Non-Teachers (available under the ‘Careers at Somerville House’ section of our website), as well as a covering letter and current Curriculum Vitae, including contact details of three (3) professional referees.
Applications are treated as confidential and must be forwarded by email to email@example.com
Please mark applications to the Attention of: The Principal, Somerville House.
Applications for this position close 9.00am Monday 1 June 2020.
- Which of the following statements best describes your right to work in Australia?