Front-end Web Developer
Advertiser: SignOnSite Pty LtdMore jobs from this company
- Job Listing Date
- 21 May 2020
- $70,000 - $100,000
- Work Type
- Full Time
- Information & Communication Technology, Web Development & Production
SignOnSite is an Australia based construction software company with one goal: make construction sites as safe and efficient as they can be.
Our story began in the search for a quicker method to evacuate large, complex construction sites. While solving that problem, we discovered additional site activities and processes that could be performed more efficiently and effectively when augmented by real-time mobile technology.
To achieve our goal of enabling the industry with safe, highly efficient sites, we are committed to keeping a pulse on what happens on our customers' sites. By working closely with our customers, we can create a continually evolving product that moves them forward.
Our core offering is a construction site attendance register. Workers run our app on their phones and are automatically signed on to and off their sites. This gives site managers real-time visibility over who is on-site. This helps manage site emergencies and day to day activities in ways previously impossible. This is made possible by a novel combination of location technologies, which allow us to do background GPS while using only a few per cent of a device's battery per day.
We have over 100 customers, and 20,000 workers from 4 countries use our software daily. We have aggressive plans to expand these numbers. To do this, we need more engineers!
You will be working with our startup's small product and engineering team (currently four people) to improve our software, based on feedback from our customers.
We are looking for an intermediate to senior software engineer with a minimum 1-year professional experience in Vue.js/React or similar web development, and a minimum of 3 years of professional software development working in a team.
Your role will be to own our web codebase. This means taking responsibility for things like code quality and testing while delivering the web portion of any upcoming features. You will need to be able to pass knowledge, and best practices on to new web hires.
You will be able to work independently and in a team, be experienced in your field, and be able to learn new technologies as other requirements arise.
As a small company, you will be given more opportunity in the future to own things that interest you, without being hindered by red tape. This will depend on how you want to grow your role, and whether or not you wish to specialise your role.
- HTML+CSS: are you comfortable with the ideas behind HTML and CSS?
- Version control: are you familiar with version control software, especially git?
- General computing: are you comfortable setting up and interacting with your coding environment? This includes running a local server and requires being comfortable with a Bash CLI.
- Coding: can you write good code that won't hurt us in the future? Can you decide on good principles and communicate them to new front-end hires?
- Problem-solving: can you solve problems well, taking into account many different factors without relying on others to provide the solution?
- Basic full-stack principles: do you understand how our web app might communicate with our servers, and how this information might be stored and queried in an SQL database? This is a web role, but a basic system-level understanding will be beneficial!
- Learning: are you good at learning new things, especially technical/software related?
- Honesty/integrity: can we trust you to do the right thing, without cutting corners?
- Independent worker: can you be primarily self-driven, and do you know when to reach out for help?
- Communication: can you communicate technical concepts, and work together to plan projects?
Technologies that SignOnSite uses
We don't expect you to be competent with all of these things. This is here to provide context around how we work:
- Amazon web services including MySql RDS, EC2, ElasticBeanstalk, S3, Route53 (DNS)
- git (BitBucket)
- bash scripting/CLI
If at any stage during the process we decide that you aren't a good fit for the role, we'll let you know. If this happens, let us know if you'd like feedback and we'll tell you why we made that decision.
Our process is as follows:
- If the information you submit on Seek meets some essential criteria, we'll call you for a 15-minute chat.
- Following the initial phone chat, we'll then do 90-120 minute interviews over video chat. This will be with a couple of people in our product and engineering team.
- Should you progress, we'll then send you a technical test to complete in your own time.
- Finally, we'll then set up a date where you can meet the team in person and have (likely virtual) lunch with us.
- If we're right for each other, we'll then offer you a position!
This role has the potential to be partially funded under a graduate program, please note in your cover letter/CV if you have graduated in the last 2 years.
If you have any questions about this position, please email our Head of Operations, Alexandria Garlan at email@example.com
- Which of the following statements best describes your right to work in Australia?
- Have you worked in a role which requires CSS development experience?
- Have you worked in a role which requires HTML development experience?
- How many years of front end development experience do you have?