Role-players in Languages Other Than English - Melbourne and Adelaide
Advertiser: NAATIMore jobs from this company
- Job Listing Date
- 24 Jun 2020
- Melbourne, CBD & Inner Suburbs
- Work Type
- Advertising, Arts & Media, Performing Arts
The National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters Ltd (trading as NAATI) is the national standards and accreditation body for translators and interpreters in Australia.
NAATI is currently looking for native speakers in the following languages to assist with upcoming tests in Adelaide and Melbourne:
- Nepali (Adelaide only)
NAATI uses live role-plays as part of testing the skills of candidates who wish to become certified as interpreters. In dialogue interpreting test tasks, two role-players (an English-speaker and a LOTE-speaker) act out a live interpreting scenario for the candidate to interpret. For example, playing the roles of an English-speaking doctor and a LOTE-speaking patient, discussing a health matter affecting the patient.
Role-players act the role set out for them in a natural and professional manner, without breaking character. This may include playing the part of a customer, defendant, employee, client, local community member, a patient seeking mental health advice or a domestic violence survivor, and so on.
Skills required include:
- Acting skills and good performance ability
- Native speaker of the LOTE
- Ability to read and write in the LOTE
- Clear speaking ability
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to work as part of a team in a respectful manner
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality and security requirements set by NAATI
- Availability to take on role-playing assignments assigned by NAATI which will generally be during business hours (8:30 am to 4:30 pm)
This is a casual opportunity only as some of the languages are only tested 1 - 3 times per year, depending on demand.
If you are interested in this role, please email us on firstname.lastname@example.org to receive the link to submit your expression of interest.